Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,650   Online: 1058

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mmmm Plus-X

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Too bad you can't use movie film in your 8x10! Or maybe you can?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Plus-X has been a favorite of mine since I shot my first roll of 35 mm film over 40 years ago, and I find it almost amusing that some folks here are just now discovering it. It is a beautiful film, and one that will be sorely missed if discontinued.

...and no, I'm not aware of any rumors or statements that it will be discontinued any time soon. Let's not start any.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    FWIW, I have a paper envelope type package of Microdol-X. It has an expiration date on it which has passed so I haven't used it, but...I think most recently that's how it was sold.

What do you all think of Plus-X as compared to FP4 or TMax100? Seems similar in terms of speed and what you'd use it for.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bowzart View Post
    One thing that MAY keep plus x in production is the fact that it is also a movie film. Whether the movie film is the same as the camera film is another question, but Kodak calls 'em both Plus X. The movie film version is available in short rolls from Film Emporium. Of course, movie films don't come with numbered frames, which is a pain. In the movie roll ends, it is very inexpensive, something like 18 cents/ft. I've been using the Double X, which I like very much. It has a bit more pronounced grain than Plus X.
    The movie version of Plus-X is 5231 in 35mm size. This is what Kodak says: "A high-speed, tungsten-balanced film with fine grain structure and very high sharpness. It features wide-, under- and overexposure latitude,
    with whiter whites, accurate color, and flesh-to-neutral reproduction; enhanced shadow detail provides crisp, rich blacks. It also offers
    improved shadow detail and blacks on telecine transfers. EI 80 (Daylight) without Filter, EI 64 (Tungsten) without Filter."

Since it is intended to be developed by a relatively high contast D-96(??), for still photography I've read of it working well at EI 125 or so......just like "the other' Plux-X!

Film Emporium website for Plus-X: http://www.tapesuperstore.com/koblandwhned1.html

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I have found Plus-X to be a fantastically versatile film in multiple sizes. It's great for portraits in medium format, it has that classic 1960's-era photojournalism look in 35mm, and I've recently made it my film of choice for bright daylight in my Holgas and Diana (yes, I know they're medium format too, but their images are so different from that of a Hassy or Mamiya that I don't really lump them together in the same category).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=Colin Corneau;658150]FWIW, I have a paper envelope type package of Microdol-X. It has an expiration date on it which has passed so I haven't used it, but...I think most recently that's how it was sold.

Microdol-X is still being sold in the gallon sizes, Perectol is the Ilford equilvant of Microdol is still avialble in 1 liter sizes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just recently discovered Plus-X too. I tried it once and sent it to a lab to get done, and got horrible results. I thought it was the film but tried developing it myself finally and got fantastic results. I would agree I think of it as a lower-speed Tri-X. Very similar look to me.
    Kodachrome
    They give us those nice bright colors
    They give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah.
    -Paul Simon

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Plus-X in Rodinal with a Leica 2/50 Summicron-DR is magic.
    ;-)

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    I like Plus-X a lot. I generally develop it in Diafine, rated at anywhere from EI 125-300. Very smooth with just enough grain to be interesting, nice tonality.

I only wish it weren't quite so expensive. Ultrafineonline has had slightly expired rolls on sale lately.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bcostin View Post
    I like Plus-X a lot. I generally develop it in Diafine, rated at anywhere from EI 125-300. Very smooth with just enough grain to be interesting, nice tonality.

I only wish it weren't quite so expensive. Ultrafineonline has had slightly expired rolls on sale lately.
    I had never heard of ultrafineonline so I went looking.

The Plus-X that I found is reloaded carts, not expired. Nice prices, hardly worth buying a 100' roll. http://store.ultrafineonline.com/koplbwfi.html

I remember when Freestyle used to sell T-Max and Ilford products as reloads. Nice.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin