Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,800   Online: 1165

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mmmm Plus-X

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Mmmm Plus-X

I shot some plus-x a couple weeks ago and have now scanned the shots and printed some out in the darkroom. It really is a fabulous film. I've also decided that I have no real desire to shoot any film that's finer grain. Between Plus-X, Tri-X, and TMZ, I'm really satisfied with a nice range of speeds and grain.

The only downfall of Plus-X is its price (compared to Tri-X). So I just bought a 100 ft roll and bulk loaded myself. Anyone who is afraid of doing that should take the plunge - its really quite easy, and I'm happy to add that the frames are numbered. They go from 1-40 (I think) and then repeat, so a given roll will start on a random number...

Oh yeah, I printed on Ilford's satin finish RC paper. I really love this surface. You guys should try it out if you are Ilford MGIV RC users.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, Plus-X is a nice film. I think of it as a low-speed Tri-X. I usually dip it in HC-110 to bring out the grain, or ID-11 for general use.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    35mm
    Plus-X suffers from..........being domestic. Something that good can't come from the Great Yellow Father, can it? Oh, wait, everyone loves Tri-X.....

Back in the 80's Robert Ringer authored a book, "Looking Out for Number One." One of the wisdom's he learned and imparted is the problem of being local. He couln't get consulting work locally, but once he became "the expert from afar," no problem. I've becomed quite attuned to this phenomena, whethe consulting or film.

I've also noticed the great price discrepency between Plus-X and Tri-X. It's not like PX is some new formula that needs to be amoritized. And it's quite substantial. PE, anyone have a take on such pricing policies? (I just ordered a 100' roll of the new TMY. Doing bulk goes a long way to keeping this addiction affordable.)

And a great composition and execution!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah, the price for 36 exp is $6 for 125px and $4 for 400tx. The bulk rolls are $45 for 125px and $49 for 400tx. And the 24 exp rolls are the same price at $3.50.

All prices from B&H. I do see that B&H is carrying 'imported' 125px at $4/36 exp.

What gives? That's strange to me.

Thanks for the comment on the photo too!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    Yeah, the price for 36 exp is $6 for 125px and $4 for 400tx. The bulk rolls are $45 for 125px and $49 for 400tx. And the 24 exp rolls are the same price at $3.50.

All prices from B&H. I do see that B&H is carrying 'imported' 125px at $4/36 exp.

What gives? That's strange to me.

Thanks for the comment on the photo too!
    The particulars vary on Freestyle, but the similarities are, um,,,, similar.

I'm taking a day to putz around tomorrow here on the west coast of Florida, drive to somewhere. I have a roll of PX that is begging to be tried...... so maybe I will!

Did you mention developers or tricks? I don't think so. I'm now using D-76 1:1 for baseline tests. Mixing my own, it's cheap. The development times are everywhere Kodak. Even with non-Kodak films you can do an easy interpolation.

Shooter
    35mm

"Tim Gray"

Are you aware that there is a character in Kerouc's "On the Road" with that name? He is actually Ed White, still alive in Englewood (connected to Denver) Colorado. I have spent time with Ed and his wife Ann interviewing him.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Haha. I've been told there is about that character... Been meaning to read it.

I just use XTOL 1:1. I like XTOL because its a decent developer to push with (if I feel the need), pretty flexible over all, and mixes up pretty easily at room temperature.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My main choice is the Ilford Pearl. The only flaw with Ilford is the HP-5 That is one film I will NEVER use again.

Images
    Tim, the detail of her lovely profile and hair stand out beautifully! Skin is so nice, too. Nice image!

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Give a try to Era 100 it is quite similar to Plus X and cheaper.
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin