Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,455   Posts: 1,570,511   Online: 1016

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Fomapan Reversal 2nd exposure yellow tint

Just developed my 1st roll of Fomapan R100 with Fomapans dedicated processing kit.

Problem is yellow tint due to the 2nd exposure I assume.

Will a shorter 2nd exposure be sufficient, or should I use chemical fogging?
    Will adding hypo to the 1st developer and make a fresh 2nd developer help?

Thanks, Ulrik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Could it be stain from the Reversal Bleach, I've no idea what Foma use in their kit, but if a bleach isn't cleared properly you get a yellowish stain.

Oh and welcome to APUG

Ian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thank you - I just discovered APUG searching for b/w reversal solutions. Unfortunately after my purchase of the Fomapan set. Now I have to make the best of it. I have 7 film+developer left.
    I guess it could be the bleach. Reading Jens Osbahr's excellent text "A Black&White Reversal Process, In Memory Of Agfa Scala 200x" points to the 2nd exposure as the problem.

How do you suggest a better clearing? Description says 3min. Should I agitate more?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not sure why Jens thinks that the reversal exposure causes the yellow stain. His PDF file seems to change quite frequently, as he adds more info.

Re-exposure using a bright bulb is common to most published processes, see this Kodak formula, and I've used quite a few over the years and never had a yellow stain.

I would increase the wash time after the Bleach bath and give good agitation while washing, same in the Clearing bath, again give a good rinse, do this in the dark.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's worth mentioning that it is important that the Bleach bath is made up with distilled or de-ionised water if possible, one problem can be water quality particularly in the summer when additional chlorination is sometimes added to water supplies. Boiling the water might be sufficient.

Any chlorine/chloride present would cause very slight Rehalogenation of the original negative image, possibly enough to cause a stain. If you've ever used a Dichromate/HCl intensifier you would know the characteristic yellow stain that is created.

Looking at another Reversal process there is strong emphasis on the washing prior to the Bleach and suggesting a 3 minute wash in rapidly running water after it. It is critical to remove all traces of the bleach.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 07-20-2008 at 09:22 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks for your advise Ian, I'm exposing my 2nd roll now, and wait with developing till I get some distilled water tomorrow to leave out that possibility.
    I'm actually duplicating a set of slides shot on scala for an exhibition so I have excellent consistency in the exposures for comparison of my developing techniques.
    I did make a fairly nice set using a fuji velvia 50, but I felt like cheating by reproducing b/w work in "color".

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Tried with distilled water and was very careful with the wash, I think it's a little better. Perhaps it's the characteristics of the film. Compared to the Scala film I'm trying to reproduce it's very warm. Somehow it came out with a little less detail in the shadows and a little lighter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 52cards View Post
    Tried with distilled water and was very careful with the wash, I think it's a little better. Perhaps it's the characteristics of the film. Compared to the Scala film I'm trying to reproduce it's very warm. Somehow it came out with a little less detail in the shadows and a little lighter.
    The Foma reversal kit calls for reusing the first developer as a second developer.
    I would not do that.
    Try with a completely freshly mixed second developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The second developer is to finality, however if there's thiocyanate (or sometimes Thiosulphate) present as is the case when you re-use the first developer there's a strong silver solvent present, this has to have an effect on the D-max, probably also the image colour.

So as Alessandro says it's not particularly good to re-use the first developer, but you'd be better using a second developer without Thiocyanate or Thiosulphate.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    The second developer is to finality, however if there's thiocyanate (or sometimes Thiosulphate) present as is the case when you re-use the first developer there's a strong silver solvent present, this has to have an effect on the D-max, probably also the image colour.

So as Alessandro says it's not particularly good to re-use the first developer, but you'd be better using a second developer without Thiocyanate or Thiosulphate.

Ian
    If I remember correctly the Foma kit doesn't use any silver halide solvent either in the first or the second developer.

I remember dr5 saying something about a yellow tint with T-Max, maybe Foma changed the r100 formulation to a t-grain type of emulsion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin