Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,577   Posts: 1,545,719   Online: 804

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    There's plenty available charts photographing from here: http://www.normankoren.com/Tutorials/MTF5.html

But printing them accurately so that you can photograph them is another matter although if you do your calculaltions and have the lens far enough away, then its possible. But you ain't going to prove that the manufacturers numbers are wrong. All you can do is find out how much resolution you can get out of your own system.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kirk; Using the resolution charts that I have, the positive and negative exposures should match to determine the effect properly.

Rob; Excellent description of MTF. I'm not sure that what the chart shows is of line pairs though. The chart I have attached is more typical of line pairs. It is also more commonly called a definition chart as the definition of the film or print is determined by the last resolvable set of pairs. There are usually 4 lines or a set of "pairs" in this case.

The chart shown in the article is a typical MTF chart which is read at multiple densities to give resolution as a function of exposure. Reading two lines of unequal widths is, in this case, called a line pair which is a misnomer. So, in some cases it depends on the math used for analysis, the definition used, and not the chart which is clearly NOT line pairs.

The chart I have posted here shows pairs, but is never (AFAIK) used for MTF plots.

PE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails print def baryta.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    BTW, on my monitor, the resolution or defintion is about 5.6. This is the last point at which I can see pairs of lines and resolve 4 lines in a group. At the next highest number I see 3 lines. This is partly an effect of the digital scanning process and partly an effect of the sharpness of the paper that was used to make the print.

PE

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Well since it is a jpeg it is really meaningless. You should have made it a gif if you want see how good everyones monitor is. But 5.6 or 6.3 means nothing on screen since its scale has been altered by the screen and everyones will be different.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Of course Rob. I know that! I used it merely as a means for someone to understand how the chart is read and that is all, and that is why I mentioned the scanning problem. Given that though, a jpeg and a gif image of the same scan at the same size can be compared and a result can show the difference in loss in the jpeg as one example that is useful here. A comparison of the jpeg on different monitors is also useful to show how the monitor or driver affects resolution.

All things are relative. You just need all of the information and you need to know what you are doing.

PE

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin