Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,286   Posts: 1,535,288   Online: 919

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have dabbled with Maco 820C in rollfilm and am thinking of trying 5x4, but at £40 a box, want to make sure that it will not fog in std DDS under bright conditions. This may seem a daft question (as how else would you use the stuff), but thought it worth asking as someone mentioned that Kodak HIE could be a problem before being discontinued in 5x4. All rumour and hearsay. Has anyone tried it in 5x4 in std DDS?

Anyone tried the version without the anti-halation dye?

Is it me or is Maco quality control not good. (I had 820C rollfilm backing tape holding the film to backing snag and jam my holder on 5 out of 10 rolls and a pack of their FB warmtone (Chamois base) matt paper all produce streaky prints (NO other papers thru same developer did. I pulled out the last sheet from the 'trial pack 'without development and slightly dark streaks (purple/brown) were visible on the virgin paper)

Why am I so keen to try another maco product?

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    just curious, but what does the acronym "DDS" stand for? I know it has to do with double sided film holders...but beyond that I'm not sure
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have used IR 820c with good results in "standard" holders. No fogging, except for one - but that holder later fogged EFKE PL100 too, so it's nothing to do with the film.

I have also tried the "Aura" version, but can't really see the big difference. It makes a lot of difference in smaller formats, but in LF? Well, a 0.5mm extra halation doesn't really give the same glop on 4x5" as it does on 35mm...

I do have a fog problem with the Aura. But that's because I develop by inspection in a leaky darkroom, so the anti-halation layer is necessary to shield the emulsion until the development is well underway. I'll try tank (JOBO) next time.

Jeremy, a DDS is a Double Dark Slide. Stupid name for film holders, but then again English isn't my native language
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used Kodak HIE in standard darkslides with no problems. Just be careful to shield the opening on the end that the sheath goes into from direct sun.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin