Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,684   Online: 902

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

BW Papers for RA4?

I have done BW print processing in the past and now looking at doing color, in fact I had the chance to purchase a 5 year Colenta RA4 processor. I was wondering if there is any paper on the market for BW that can be processed using RA4? If I am remembering correctly Kodak used to make a line of BW papers that could be process RA4.

Thanks

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    oriental hyper seagull
    ilford rc digital
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

kodak in the past, but regular RC can work too

I have a roll of portra B&W or something like that that processes in RA-4.

I run a Fujimoto roller RA-4 unit. I don't store the chems in the unit; they oxides there faster than I use them

When I have a big B&W job I fill the first tank with Dektol 1:2, second tank with superfix/TF-4, and the third tank with water so the prints are not all hypo'd when they roll out.

I have sucessfully run b&W regular RC paper this way; I can vary the roller speed, so usually I wind the speed up to where the whites don't go grey, and I still get full blacks. TF-4 when warm fixes in a flash.

The other approach is to leave the roller speed fixed, and cut the heater set poitns. For me, if I run the machine with no heaters the motor and pumps leave the chems at about 23C after an hour or so. I unplug the heater drive circuit, and run at 45' per tank.

I have even done FB, wet first, to stick onto RC wasted prints used as a 'backer'. They go through the machine just fine. Second fix the FB, then wash as usual. Briefly wash the RC carriers so that fix carry over doesn't contaminate the developer when you recycle them.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    IIRC, Fuji makes an RA-4 b/w paper, but I'm not sure if it's available in the US; doesn't help out much, but thought I'd mention it. Perhaps a special order thru someone, if you were going to use enough of it???

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think there may be a fine point we are missing here.

If you want to put B&W chemistry into an RA4 processor, then almost any combination of paper chemistry and B&W paper will work.

If you are using RA4 chemistry, then I am not aware of any real B&W paper that will go through the "real" RA4 chemistry. Some of the suggestions above might work, IDK, but AFAIK, no one made a B&W paper for RA4.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I think there may be a fine point we are missing here.

If you want to put B&W chemistry into an RA4 processor, then almost any combination of paper chemistry and B&W paper will work.

If you are using RA4 chemistry, then I am not aware of any real B&W paper that will go through the "real" RA4 chemistry. Some of the suggestions above might work, IDK, but AFAIK, no one made a B&W paper for RA4.

PE
    Thanks, But I thought KODAK PROFESSIONAL PORTRA Black & White Paper was for RA4 process, at least that is what I read on there site. Although discontinue now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That was the paper for printing Chromogenic B&W films with a minilab RA-4 processor.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry, I thought it had been discontinued. I was confusing it with Panalure which was discontinued. It was a B&W paper intended for making prints from color negatives using a B&W process.

Thanks Ian.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No Black and White paper for RA4 process exists: The only ever product was the KODAK one.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks to all for your input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin