Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,233   Online: 1104

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paper developer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Verizzo View Post
    Many people say that the warm tone ID-78 is a dead ringer for Neutol WA, btw.

Well almost

Unfortunately ID-78 was published incorrectlyn in a Photolab Index back in the early 60's and that mistake goes right on through most US publications and websites such as Silvergrain. Ironically it's correct onDigitaltruth. The formula as published widely by Ilford should have 4.5 gms per litre KBR (not 0.4g).

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 07-24-2008 at 09:16 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add

Shooter
    35mm

Yes, I discovered that on my own research

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post

Well almost

Unfortunately ID-78 was published incorrectlyn in a Photolab Index back in the early 60's and that mistake goes right on through most US publications and websites such as Silvergrain. Ironically it's correct onDigitaltruth. The formula as published widely by Ilford should have 4.5 gms per litre KBR (not 0.4g).

Ian
    That's a good caution, although I never gave the formula.

So with the correct bromide, it is a warm tone developer. Allegedly like the WA. (I've not used either.)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Guys, how long do you hang onto print dev?

I process most of my prints in open trays and frisbee the stuff at the end of each day.

I use either Agfa WA or Ilford PQ - both of which are dark yellow/brown at the end of 12hrs or so in the tray

There is no noticeable drop in performance (I can detect) but they look pretty spent by the end of a session

Both leave a dark grey/black deposit on the tray which only partly gets removed with elbow grease.

Thanks

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you process Fibre based papers the developer doesn't last that long, mainly because of the absorption and carry over. So 1½ litres of ID-78 or Neutol WA generally lasts a 3 or 4 hour session and I may have to top it up with fresh. It would certainly last 12 hours or more if used less.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use Calbe N113 which is an powder-developer. In original package it can be stored for years, even
    the lifetime of the solution is outstanding. The price is also surprisingly cheap, 1,50 Euro per litre
    won´t make you poor. Give it a try, I think availability in Denmark won´t be a problem.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Slixtiesix availability in Denmark well.. normally I buy from Germany because most dealers in Denmark don't have kemistry anymore and to expensive if they are going to order it for you.

The "problem" is that I use 40ml for test print and 100ml for larger op to 30x40cm so mixing 1 Liter is much if it doesn't last long.. ( using Jobo drums)

Jesper

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ok that´s an issue. I develop my prints in trays and store the solution in plastic bottles while not used.
    It keeps well even for 6 month. I forgot to mention that N113 is used as stock solution!

Benjamin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin