Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,579   Posts: 1,545,748   Online: 955

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paper developer

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Paper developer

Currentlig I'm using Ilford Multigrade dev. for my paper prints, but I'm looking for another dev. that can last longer when diluted( Ilford says 24 hours).
    I'm using Ilford Mulitgrade RC paper.
    Any of you out there have any suggesttion for a developer that can stand diluted for longer time?

Jesper Jepsen

Jesper,

For many years I have used Agfa Neutol WA as my main developer, and have developed a lot of Ilford Mgd 4 in it. At the end of a short session I often bottle it and it still works well often weeks later.

Alan Clark
    Last edited by AlanC; 07-24-2008 at 06:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 24 hours is only a suggestion. Bottling it between sessions will probably extend that considerably. In my Nova slots it lasted for several weeks, as has Ilford PQ Universal.

If you can get it (probably have to import it from the US) Ansco 130 is probably the longest lasting developer but Neutol WA, as suggested above, probably comes a close second - both of those have lasted a couple of months in my Nova's slots. Because of the difficulty of getting the Ansco 130 (or in my case, the glycin to make it up myself), I too have more or less standardised on Neutol WA.

Have fun, Bob.

P.S. Alan: for future reference, you can edit your original post for a few hours after you post it... (like this...)
    Last edited by Bob F.; 07-24-2008 at 05:05 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added P.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Dektol?

I use dektol, or agfa 100 mixed from scratch - almost identical to dektol in its ratios. I dilute it 1:2 for use in trays. I bottle it between sessions, and if the bottle is full, I have had sucess using a few shets, bottle it, then use it again for another session a wekk or two later with no really awful results.
    my real name, imagine that.

Jesper,
    Mgd4 has a slight hint of warmth, as I am sure you know. Neutol WA will preserve this. Dektol will give you a slightly cold blue-black look.
    You can decide which you like best!

Alan Clark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ansco 130, diluted 1+1 lasts a LONG time in trays and for months if you bottle between use.... I buy the PF130 mentioned above, from Photographer's Formulary. It's an excellent developer.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My current bottle of Ansco 130 is 18 months old and going strong, although I did just pick up a fresh kit to make some new. This stuff really does last a long, long time.

- Randy

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Jesper,
    I think I've read this before on one of the posts and from my own experience - LPD lasts a while in the tray.
    Even diluted 1:3/1:4 with another tray floating on top ( some float plastic wrap), the stuff will still be good 3-5 days later.
    Russ

Shooter
    35mm

And the winner is.....

Quote Originally Posted by CCOS View Post
    Currentlig I'm using Ilford Multigrade dev. for my paper prints, but I'm looking for another dev. that can last longer when diluted( Ilford says 24 hours).
    I'm using Ilford Mulitgrade RC paper.
    Any of you out there have any suggesttion for a developer that can stand diluted for longer time?

Jesper Jepsen
    I have been intentionally abusing ID-62 plus extra sulfite for a month now. I've left it out in the trays for several days many times, just adding water to make up for evaporation. I'm just running tests, so this isn't what I would do for "real" work. Oh, and the daytime temp in the garage/darkroom is mid-90's. It's gotten fairly brown but still is cranking to full Dmax.

ID-62 is a basic PQ formula. I think with 100 grams of sulfite I'm doing an Ethol LPD, basically.

Many people say that the warm tone ID-78 is a dead ringer for Neutol WA, btw.

Shooter
    35mm
    I use the mix-it-yourself DS-14 developer, which I bottle and replenish between sessions. (The Web page says how to make the replenisher -- it's just DS-14 minus potassium bromide.) Used in this way, with perhaps an average of one printing session per week, DS-14 lasts for at least a few months. I've successfully replenished one liter of DS-14 with three liters of replenisher before I got nervous and dumped it. I don't recall how long that took, but it was probably at least six months.

The commercial Silvergrain Tektol line is based on DS-14, but I don't recall whether the Standard or Black variety is closer to DS-14. Unfortunately, there's no commercial version of the replenisher. I have no idea if anybody imports these products into Europe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin