Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,584   Posts: 1,545,786   Online: 1039

Thread: paper color

Shooter
    Medium Format

paper color

Paper tone

It is ironic that another post refers to MG4 as warmish but dektol cools it .
    I have been rather frustrated trying to alter the tone or color of the image of Ilfords Multigrade RC . I keep getting a color that is more towards the olive or a yellowish undertone, for lack of a better description, than neutral or cold black. I use Dektol 1:2 at 70 degrees for 2 to 3 minutes I have tried adding Benzotriazole and Orthozite. Using Ultra black developer, all to no effect. Selenium toning helps a little but that color is more towards purple than I want .I was under the impression that Ilford Multigrade IV was not developer incorporated, but it almost behaves as though it is.. Am I beating my head against the darkroom wall as it where?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not a warm tone paper so you can't do much to alter the colour. Any shift will be slight and if you use techniques used for Warm-tone papers your likely to get poor quality and odd effects.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 07-25-2008 at 10:56 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think that's a great paper for proofs and playing around with, but agree with Ian that I find it limiting in altering tones in any manner. The Ilford Galerie papers respond much better in this respect, I think. Particularly the split sepia-selenium, it's gorgeous. My guess is that it would respond to cold tone developers, too. Galerie papers lith pretty well, so I also assume no developers incorporated. I don't know about the MGIV.

Molson,

Try Dektol at 1+9. When I used this dilution I got a definite cool blue-black. At 1+4 there was hardly any colour change so I would expect even less at 1+2.

Alan Clark

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin