Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,967   Posts: 1,558,455   Online: 987

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

TMY2 and Divided Developers

I've been using TMax TMY2-400 for a month or so now. I use it for night photography and am generally pleased with the results I'm getting in Xtol 1:1 for 12min at 20deg C, agitation 10 sec/min.

I would like to see if using a divided developer like D-23 will help me get a little better seperation in my highlights while still maintaining roughly the same overall contrast of the negative . I will also experiment with Xtol at 1:2 and reduced agitation to see if that gives me any compensating effect.

Is there anything about this film that makes it suitable/unsuitable for divided development?

Has anyone else tried divided development with it?

Am I barking up the wrong tree in trying to use a compensating developer to improve highlight seperation; will they generally just reduce the overall contrast of the neg?

Thanks very much,
    Matt.
    Last edited by Matthew Gorringe; 07-26-2008 at 12:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Matt Gorringe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Gorringe View Post
    I've been using TMax TMY2-400 for a month or so now. I use it for night photography and am generally pleased with the results I'm getting in Xtol 1:1 for 12min at 20deg C, agitation 10 sec/min.

I would like to see if using a divided developer like D-23 will help me get a little better seperation in my highlights while still maintaining roughly the similar overall contrast of the negative . I will also experiment with Xtol at 1:2and reduced agitation to see if that gives me any compensating effect.

Is there anything about this film that makes it suitable/unsuitable for divided development?

Am I barking up the wrong tree in trying to use a compensating developer to improve highlight seperation; will they generally just reduce the overall contrast of the neg?

Thanks very much,
    Matt.
    No Matt, I don't think you are barking up the wrong tree.
    I use a compensating developer (Pyrocat) with TMY - it clamps the highlights and gives excellent highlight separation together with good contrast/microcontrast -but you still need to get your exposure right!.
    BTW, I am a contact printer.
    Last edited by Tom Hoskinson; 07-26-2008 at 12:09 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: to improve clarity
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    help me get a little better seperation in my highlights

Matthew,
    Do you want to increase the contrast in the highlights, or reduce the contrast ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sandy King has an excellent article in the July/August issue of View Camera on using Divided Developers.

You may also find that printing on a different paper makes a significant difference. Ilford Gallerie gives superb highlight sparation.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ian,

Thanks for the nice comment and referece.

Matt, TMY-2 works nicely in a divided developer like D-23. One of the outstanding features of divided development is that with most films a very straight line curve is produced which spreads the compensation equally over the entire highlight range, unlike what you see with some compensating developers where there is severe compression in the highlights.

The pyro type developers that Tom mentioned also offer a very gentle type of compensation that tames the highlights, but the compensation is primarily produced with VC silver papers.

I should mention that my article in view camera is specifically directed to those who scan sheet film to print digitally. However, the concept is potentially useful to those who use 35mm and 120/220 film and expose in conditions where there is a lot of change of contrast on the same roll. Divided development was originally developed for this very purpose.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Sandy King has an excellent article in the July/August issue of View Camera on using Divided Developers.

You may also find that printing on a different paper makes a significant difference. Ilford Gallerie gives superb highlight sparation.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=Tom Hoskinson;659398
    BTW, I am a contact printer.[/QUOTE]

Aren't those prints a bit hard to see at 1 x 1 1/2? Oh....... :rolleyes:

Shooter
    35mm

Just got my 100' of TMY-2 yesterday

I would like to see if using a divided developer like D-23 will help me get a little better seperation in my highlights while still maintaining roughly the same overall contrast of the negative . I will also experiment with Xtol at 1:2 and reduced agitation to see if that gives me any compensating effect.

Thanks very much,
    Matt.
    After running a test roll in D-76 1:1 I will be heading for the DD shelf for further experiments.

I'll let y'all know if anything develops. Er.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    help me get a little better seperation in my highlights

Matthew,
    Do you want to increase the contrast in the highlights, or reduce the contrast ?
    I'd like to get more contrast in the highlights while maintaining roughly the same contrast in the neg overall. I understand that I may find a change in film speed with a new developer and consequently would have to chnage my exposure to maintain the same overall contrast. I would also like to be able to spell "separation", did you have to quote me on that?

It sounds like it will be worth experimenting with D23 as a divided developer with this film; it will take me a few weeks to get started but I'll report back on what I find. Sandy, I'll be using this to print on silver is there anything different about processing for silver vs scanning?

All my film is 120 but I almost always use one roll to a subject, the divided development is targeted at maintaing as much detail in my highlights as possible in night landscapes where extreme brightness ranges are compounded by reciprocity failure.

Thanks for your help everyone,
    Matt.
    Last edited by Matthew Gorringe; 07-26-2008 at 11:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Matt Gorringe

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I
    It sounds like it will be worth experimenting with D23 as a divided developer with this film; it will take me a few weeks to get started but I'll report back on what I find. Sandy, I'll be using this to print on silver is there anything different about processing for silver vs scanning?

Matt.

Not that much difference. For scanning we want a negative with a relatively low average gradient of about .45, one that would print on silver with a VC #3 filter or so. If you want a higher average gradient you can just bump the temperature up about five degrees and the emulsion can absorb more reducer, which will allow the negative to develop to a higher contrast

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Not that much difference. For scanning we want a negative with a relatively low average gradient of about .45, one that would print on silver with a VC #3 filter or so. If you want a higher average gradient you can just bump the temperature up about five degrees and the emulsion can absorb more reducer, which will allow the negative to develop to a higher contrast

Sandy
    I thought one of the advantages of Divided developers was they are semi-Panthermic so not temperature depenent within about a 6 degree C range.

Ian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin