Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,579   Posts: 1,545,759   Online: 1039

Shooter
    Medium Format

KODAK HIE expired, Frozen, Usable?

Hi

I have a chance on buying some Kodak HIE that expired in 2001 but has been frozen since purchase. Any opinions if it would still be usable? I know I have worked with expired film in the past without issues that was frozen but not infrared.

Thanks

KPT
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hie does not last long after the experation date and i wouldnt buy it unless its a dirt cheap deal.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have recently used HIE 3 years out of date that had been kept in the fridge and was happy with the results. It is always a risk especially if you are shooting something important to you or a client. It come down to the amount of money that you are willing to risk on your investment. Could you buy a few rolls to check it out? I bracketed mine at 400/640/1020 asa and developed it at 1+1 for 13 mins in ID11. All negs are printable. I use a red filter and metered through the camera. Good luck.

Cheers
    TEX

Shooter
    Medium Format

Yes, it should be usable.

Quote Originally Posted by dbonamo View Post
    I have a chance on buying some Kodak HIE that expired in 2001 but has been frozen since purchase. Any opinions if it would still be usable? Thanks
    Yes I think it should be usable if frozen when purchased (and purchased when fresh - i.e. not expired).

10-15 years is a ball-park guesstimate before background radiation will raise the fog levels too much.

w.r.t. the longevity of frozen and properly stored HIE, nobody has ever provided documented or traceable evidence to the contrary of my informed guesstimate of 10-15 years (either posted to APUG or elsewhere that I have searched).

Also see here.

regards
    Peter

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin