Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,177   Online: 864

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Before I decided to go back to old fashion amber glass, I found threads about the expensive plastic ones made for photo use being not the right plastic, so I started colleting the proper plastic Pet1 bottles. One thing I notice was if they had anything other than water in them, example juice, the odor would always be retained. No amount of washing would get rid of it.

Maybe I used cheap soap,however, I wonder how neutral the plastic could be and if it would effect the photo chemicals. Although the main reason I gave up on this was more of a safety issue anyway.

Since no one is complaining it must not matter but I still wonder.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow you guys have been such a great help. Since I'm doing this completely on my own and I am learning from websites describing the process, I'm sure I'll be posting a lot with questions. It seems like the printing process is a bit more tricky, so get ready

Shooter
    35mm
    Actually, while we're on the topic, would a laundry detergent bottle work for developer? I would just question this since detergent is a much stronger liquid than water, or juice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not a question of how "strong" a chemical is, but how much it is effected by exposure to oxygen and how impervious to oxygen the material the bottle (and its cap) are made of.

I would not expect detergent to be strongly effected by oxygen so the bottles are probably not made to be very airtight and made of a more permeable plastic. Fizzy pop bottles are made to be airtight and are made of one of the less permeable plastics so I stick to using them.

Stop-bath and fixer (and some toners) however are less susceptible to being effected by oxygen and so may well be OK stored in detergent bottles - but then, why not stick with the pop bottles for these too, just for the extra insurance...

Good luck, Bob.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I felt like I would have better luck getting juice residue out of a bottle than concentrated detergent.

I have been hoarding #1 PETE 1/2 gallon or 2 l (not sure) bottles. There is an article somewhere on Ryuji Suzuki's chemistry page (Silver-something...silvergrain?) that will support what people are saying here about PETE vs HDPE and why 'Saran' wrap for caps with some explanation why, if you are interested in the 'why' part.

I seem to recall Patrick Gainer noting an advantage consuming to prune juice in that the bottles are brown (but probably HDPE). I read somewhere (Ryuji?) that #1, PETE is the only recommended plastic for developers (high pH), but #2 HDPE is acceptable for stop and fixer, if you have to choose due to being short-handed.

Another oft-cited advantage to plastic is resistance to breakage, sometimes pointed out by people who have had the unpleasant experience of dropping and breaking a brown glass bottle of chemistry in the darkroom.

We have a couple of high-output felines, and I have been saving the large 'clumping litter' bottles (#2?) & buckets (?) for mixing/draining.
    Murray

Shooter
    35mm
    Murray, I linked to Ryuji Suzuki's page on plastic bottle types in my earlier post.

Concerning detergent bottles, I'd be reluctant to use them, since I can never seem to get rid of all of the detergent -- even soaking the bottle for days, there always seems to be just a little bit left. I've never had problems with glass bottles for soda, pasta sauce, etc.; although some do seem to retain a bit of an odor of their original contents, I've never noticed any problems with chemistry stored in these bottles.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Someone sells vanilla-scented chemistry :O)

I missed previous SRS' RS link. Oops.
    Murray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Imported beer in brown, .5l bottles. Drink the beer; reuse the bottles. But LABEL them boldly and clearly.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use 1000 ml, 500 ml, and 250 ml amber glass bottles for storing my stock solution. 4 1000 ml bottles for a gallon, 2 500 ml for a quart (or four 250 ml bottles) or I may use smaller bottles for storing chemistry I don't use as often. One thing I did learn from experimenting, the chemistry can last for 6 months when full and two months at half. I will also transfer the remains to a smaller bottle to last longer.

Good luck

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have a supply of polypropylene bottles from the hospital. PP never seems to get a mention in suitability or otherwise for photographic chems. The bottles are very strong and I figure that if they use them for IV and other fluids they are probably OK for developers?

Murray

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin