Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,839   Posts: 1,582,468   Online: 751

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

is there any BW pan-chro +infra-red film avail?

Is there any Black and White film availible that is pan-chromatic and also sensitive to infra-red?

I seem to remember that maco cube 400 was this way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think SFX might suit you. With an R72 filter it goes somewhat into IR, enough to make a decent IR effect, but take the filter off and it's a rather normal b/w film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Rollei IR400. Does what it says on the box. B+W 092 filter for IR, panchromatic otherwise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They are all panchromatic. The difference between infrared and "normal" panchromatic B&W films is the extra sensitivity that extends into the infrared region of the spectrum. Shoot a frame of the same subject with and without an infrared filter (being sure to compensate your exposure for the filter), and see what you get. The frame shot without the filter will look very much like what you'd get with any other B&W film. When using an infrared filter, all other wavelengths of light are removed and only the infrared portion of the light is left to make an impression on the film. If the film is sensitive to those wavelengths, bingo, you get a picture. If it's not, you don't.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Aren't all IR films available just relabeled traffic surveillance films?

As far as I can tell from my department, there was Agfapan APX 200S and 400s, MACO TS EAGLE (could be Rollei-Maco IR 820c or others, probably made by Filmotec in Wolfen, the former east german Orwo plant, perhaps), Ilford SP816T alias Ilford SFX, Kodak Hawkeye films alias ??, Efke/Adox IR films should be traffic films as well, even Foma has a film labeled NIR that is made for speed cameras. Traffic surveillance films is still good business because you all drive too fast and burn the traffic lights... :-)

It's not a shame to use this material, these are all good films, I expect, because the police must rely on the results. Police agents love admissible evidence. Most of these films will be on a plasticky material that might curl a lot, but I heard it's getting better.

But they are not real IR films, just right to identify a person with a red flashlight. You need strong filters to get the IR effect.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I've had excellent results from the Maco-Rollei 820c film, especially with an opaque (e.g. B+W 093) filter. It's difficult to use hand held with this setup, but other films are often as difficult. I understand the traffic surveillance idea is to have night capability, where a deep red IR filter is attached to a flash unit to catch speeders without blinding other drivers. This gives the traffic cameras 24 hour capability. My experience includes a hefty fine in Germany for night speeding in my BMW. Anyway, the film has an anti-halation backing, which cuts down on the "glow" you get with Kodak HIE, but otherwise produces an excellent IR image.
    Mike Richards' Mobile Me gallery, including the Holocaust and Turkey Expo.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Klopstock View Post
    Aren't all IR films available just relabeled traffic surveillance films?

The Ilford SFX 200 is obviously related to their Traffic Surveilance Film (though different).

The Rollei IR is converted by Maco from a masterroll of current Agfa Aviphot Pan 400S (an aerial film and different from the late Agfapan 400S).
    Agfa meanwhile offers this film themselves as traffic surveilance film in an own conversion.

The Rollei Superpan 200 is converted by Maco from a masteroll of current Agfa Aviphot Pan 200 (an aerial film).

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    They are all panchromatic. The difference between infrared and "normal" panchromatic B&W films is the extra sensitivity that extends into the infrared region of the spectrum.

The late Konica Infrared had to the intrinsic sensitivity of the halide only added a sensitizer for the (near) IR-part of the spectrum.
    And the late Kodak HIE had a spectral sensitivity below IR which was at least unlevelled.

Thus if one would conclude from your statement that an IR film neccessarily is a panchro film plus added (near) IR-sensitivity, that would be wrong.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin