Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,240   Online: 1007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    HP5+ is my favourite general-perpose film - purely personal, I know. I just like the 'feel'. Obvious grain but not too obtrusive. It's also very versatile. I've had excellent results at ISO200 in Perceptol (1+1, 15 Mins) - lower contrast and less grain , ISO400 in ID11 (1+1, 13 mins) - for general use and at ISO 800 in Microphen (1+1, 16 mins) all at 20C - 'grittier' feel, seems to suit Northern English landscapes! I generaly shoot 6x4.5cm.

OTOH if I'm shooting 35mm landscapes handheld, particularly if the sun's out I'll use Delta 400.

Try a few combinations and see what you like!

Rob

Shooter
    35mm
    If its 35mm and less grain is wanted for big enlargements then ID11 and D400 is probably a better combination. This is purely a subjective opinion but if DDX dev is chosen then the difference in my experience between the two is lessened and if Perceptol is used, albeit with some loss of speed then HP5 will enlarge considerably without grain.

I have twice shot a wooden carving of two birds of prey. On both occasions I hadn't got a telephoto lens and had to enlarge to get what I wanted. On the first occasion it was ID11 and the enlargement of a section of the neg was the equivalent of about 12x16. Grain was very obtrusive with ID11 but barely noticeable with Perceptol.

Try both films and if you like HP5+ and want grain free negs and can accept some loss of speed then HP5+ with Perceptol is a good combination.

pentaxuser

A few weeks ago I loaded HP5+ in one OM1 body and Delta 400 in another. Then I took a series of pictures of the old apple trees in my garden - in full sun - doubling up each shot by swapping the same 35mm lens back and forth between bodies. I developed both films in ID11 1 + 3 and made some 8 x 12 comparative prints. To be honest I couldn't see much difference in sharpness or grain between the two films, but there was a big difference in tonality. The prints from the HP5 negatives looked much better to me. Much brighter and full of light. This was because the upper mid-tones came out lighter than "normal" and in the delta prints they came out darker and more drab looking.
    I was already a big fan of HP5 before this simple test, and I only used the Delta because it came free with a magazine. I won't be using it again. HP5 , in 35mm ( and 120 for that matter) does everything I want.

Alan Clark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the responses, everyone
    Those who know, shoot film

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin