Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,500   Posts: 1,543,297   Online: 910

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BTZS Request

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I do as well Tom, but really my point was that from paper to paper and from measuring device to device, one would have to do ones own testing as opposed to looking into a database due to the spectral differences in papers and devices.

As I stated, I use pmk as well and it measures well with my process and it is quite accurate but I don't think my data would do Chris a lot of good.

Phil and I had quite the discussion on his feelings about BTZS should be one of understanding. He wanted everyone to know how to do the work themselves. I suggested that since he had such a huge database of work done from so many different films that he could share that with the public and many could use the data without having to go through the pain of the math.

I think what I was trying to say is that it's best to do the testing in ones own environment if it's at all possible. This will remove any variability and give one a good understanding of what is happening in the process.

Cheers
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall View Post
    I do as well Tom, but really my point was that from paper to paper and from measuring device to device, one would have to do ones own testing as opposed to looking into a database due to the spectral differences in papers and devices.

As I stated, I use pmk as well and it measures well with my process and it is quite accurate but I don't think my data would do Chris a lot of good.

Phil and I had quite the discussion on his feelings about BTZS should be one of understanding. He wanted everyone to know how to do the work themselves. I suggested that since he had such a huge database of work done from so many different films that he could share that with the public and many could use the data without having to go through the pain of the math.

I think what I was trying to say is that it's best to do the testing in ones own environment if it's at all possible. This will remove any variability and give one a good understanding of what is happening in the process.

Cheers
    Robert,

Thanks for your input.
    I'm not trying to take a short cut, I have done some of the testing and read Phil's book. I followed his method for using a spot meter for reading the paper densities. As far as the film goes I did do some testing and plotted them using a small densitometer that is only for transmission. I even used the blue Wratten 47 filter Sandy recommends. But I paid $10.00 for this densitometer and I think the results are about as accurate.

With an imported set of data I could get started using the system and see how things look. I'll be able to fine tune from there. I use graded paper.

chris

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Good deal Chris,

BTW, I was the one telling him to put the data our there so i am actually the guilty one. I figured that if it was out there people would have a choice, or at least a good jumping off place. Phil kinda groaned and more or less agreed.

Now for more important questions... how did you find a $10 densitometer?!

Rob
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    It's a Sekura I picked up on fleabay a while ago. It is small with four feet, one has a hole which is used to take the reading. The meter is a needle reading in .1 increments.

chris

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Awesome!
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall View Post

Cheers
    I agree, Robert I do my own testing in my environment and apply the lessons Phil taught.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I would also add that Phil put a lot of his data on the sample files that come with WinPlotter. Virtually every important film and developer combination you can think of (excluding Pyro staining developers) is on the disk, as well as dozens and dozens of paper files.

I share Robert and Tom's view that it is important to do your own testing. On the other hand, the data from good film testing with BTZS tubes is highly portable if done correctly.

Sandy King
    Last edited by sanking; 08-04-2008 at 08:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't want to buy the Plotter for one or two films I use, so I did my testing today and tomorrow I will plot for my development times on paper and keep that in the dark room.
    I only use Pyrocat-HD so while the amount of films and developer combinations are nice to have I doubt I will use them.

thanks to all who responded,
    chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

MY DENSITOMETRY for TMY in Pyrocat

Quote Originally Posted by chrisf View Post
    I don't want to buy the Plotter for one or two films I use, so I did my testing today and tomorrow I will plot for my development times on paper and keep that in the dark room.
    I only use Pyrocat-HD so while the amount of films and developer combinations are nice to have I doubt I will use them.

thanks to all who responded,
    chris
    chris, here is a MS Excel graph showing the D logE curves for TMY developed in Pyrocat MC (Stain image density curve and Silver image density curve). I did the densitometry for this test with an old MacBeth Transmission Color densitometer.

TMY developed in Pyrocat HD at the same time and temperature, the same dilution and the same agitation, gives me the same result.

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...=15457&limit=1
    Last edited by Tom Hoskinson; 08-05-2008 at 10:33 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: goofed
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin