Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,515   Posts: 1,645,438   Online: 1176

Thread: Buying overseas

Shooter
    Medium Format

Buying overseas

Hi

I was wondering if any can comment on buying film from EU. I am in the US and just purchased about 150.00 worth of film, actually several rolls of Scala, but I never had film shipped to me from outside the US. Should I be concern about X-ray damage ect? I believe it is being shipped via the Postal System not UPS or FedEx. What kind of import taxes am I looking at for 150.00?

Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What's the advantage of doing this, with the dollar so weak relative to the euro? Something you can't get here?
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can still be far cheaper Mike

The Dollar might be weak but some US prices are quite high despite that. I buy from the EU, I don't get X-ray damage, the shippers have arrangements with security at the airports etc.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSeb View Post
    What's the advantage of doing this, with the dollar so weak relative to the euro? Something you can't get here?
    In this case I could not find Agfa Scala.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Where in the EU are you buying from?( shops?)
    When I look at the US prices add shiping cost and tax is't almost the same as "Home" In EU

Jesper

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CCOS View Post
    Where in the EU are you buying from?( shops?)
    When I look at the US prices add shipping cost and tax is't almost the same as "Home" In EU

Jesper
    I am in the US, purchased some Agfa Scala from a seller in Germany, my shipping is $20.00. I purchased 10 rolls of 35mmx36 and 20 rolls of 120mm. At the time I could only find
    35mm in the US for 12.95/roll, I paid 6.60 which has not expired yet. As for 120, I could not find any and I just check, BH now has it at 4.59/roll which expired 1/07. This is the same price I paid for mine that expired 7/07.

On eBay I found some that expired recently but the sellers were selling if for 85.00/5 rolls. I actually purchase a pro pack for 50.00 from one seller before I found the others.

So to me it looks like it was a better deal from Germany, even with shipping being only 10.00 from BH, I still am saving 50.00. However I do not know what the taxes will be on 150.00 so I it maybe work out to be the same. However at the time I order, I could not find Scala in the US other then eBay. I was hoping someone on this board from the US that may have purchased from EU to maybe give me an idea on the taxes.

Thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dbonamo View Post
    I am in the US, purchased some Agfa Scala from a seller in Germany, my shipping is $20.00. I purchased 10 rolls of 35mmx36 and 20 rolls of 120mm. At the time I could only find
    35mm in the US for 12.95/roll, I paid 6.60 which has not expired yet. As for 120, I could not find any and I just check, BH now has it at 4.59/roll which expired 1/07. This is the same price I paid for mine that expired 7/07.

On eBay I found some that expired recently but the sellers were selling if for 85.00/5 rolls. I actually purchase a pro pack for 50.00 from one seller before I found the others.

So to me it looks like it was a better deal from Germany, even with shipping being only 10.00 from BH, I still am saving 50.00. However I do not know what the taxes will be on 150.00 so I it maybe work out to be the same. However at the time I order, I could not find Scala in the US other then eBay. I was hoping someone on this board from the US that may have purchased from EU to maybe give me an idea on the taxes.

Thanks
    The import duty on such a transaction(s) will be minimal. The duty tax, if any will be incurred during the shipping process, and usually included already in the shipping charge. The exact amount if any will depend on how it is declared. I wouldn't worry about it.
    That's just, like, my opinion, man...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    The import duty on such a transaction(s) will be minimal. The duty tax, if any will be incurred during the shipping process, and usually included already in the shipping charge. The exact amount if any will depend on how it is declared. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Thanks..

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin