Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,564   Online: 1180

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pyro and FP4

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don

I would be grateful for any info available. I have some provisional times that have been published on UnblinkingEye but the more info the better. As you mentioned I will be enlarging so will need to amend anyway.

Thanks

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For developing Ilford FP4+ in Pyrocat-HD, 1:1:100 dilution, I would suggest the following times as guides to being tests for your own conditions. The recommendations are for projection printing of silver gelatin papers, Grace #2 or VC Filter #2.

Development standards are: rotary processing in BTZS type tubes with gentle but constant agitation in water-bath, temperature 70 degrees F, pre-soak of 2-3 minutes.

Recommendation for Zone System

N-1 5:00 minutes
    N 8:30 minutes
    N+1 15:00 minutes

For SBR

SBR 8 5:30
    SBR 7 8:30
    SBR 6 14:00

My testing shows that development times for the 1:1:100 dilution of Pyrocat-HD are only about 70% of PMK times, to reach the same CI. And with this paritcular film, Ilford FP4+, there will be about a 1/4 stop increase in effective film speed with Pyrocat-HD, as compared to PMK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sandy

Thanks for the wealth of info for my particular choice of film/dev combo. I can't wait to give this a try, and this is my first foray into the world of Pyro. I will publish my results good or bad as I don't expect toget it spot on first time.

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

phil: checkout my homemade tubes. they are made to hold 4 ozs, maybe you could make another dev cup and not a whole new tube
    <html>
    <a href="http://home.att.net/~shipale/index.html">phil sweeney's website</a>
    </body>
    &lt;/html&gt;

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Phil

I use homemade BTZS tubes as well and it will be easy and very cheap to create new reservior caps. Funnily I had not considered it until you mentioned it. Thanks

Phill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Pyrocat-HD order arrived today from the US which is pretty good going - 8 days from order to delivery a few 1000 miles a way. I will mix up a batch later in the week and develop some shots next weekend using sandy's times as above.

Plus I have made the PYRO end caps for my BTZS tubes and now have 120ml capacity per 5x4 sheet

Phill

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Phil,

Pretty fast service from Artcraft in the US to the UK. Artcraft is highly recommended in my book.

But, just wondering why you ordered from the US? None of the chemicals in the Pyrocat-HD formula are particulary hard to find on this side of the divide. Are there not any good suppliers of photographic chemicals in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Phil,
    But, just wondering why you ordered from the US? None of the chemicals in the Pyrocat-HD formula are particulary hard to find on this side of the divide. Are there not any good suppliers of photographic chemicals in the UK?
    Silverprint in London, www.silverprint.co.uk is very good. They also stock Barry Thorntons DiXactol, I don't seemuch mention of it but it is a developer I like www.barrythornton.co.uk

[ They also stock Barry Thorntons DiXactol, I don't seemuch mention of it but it is a developer I like www.barrythornton.co.uk[/quote]

sorry that should have been http://www.barry-thornton.co.uk/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have finally managed to use my Pyrocat-HD on a couple of 4x5 images tonight. I developed 2 and I am reasonably pleased with the results. Both shots were reasonable long exposures (22 secs and 50 secs) on FP4. Images seem to have a fair contrast (Black background is clear) but the negs are pink when wet not brown as expected. Have I mixed wrong? There is no streaking evident and 85ml of solution used in BTZS tubes.

Phill

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin