Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,088   Online: 1030

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Problem developing 120 film

Hy
    Maybe this was posted before but i am a new user...
    So, these days i was developing a B/W film in a Pentacon Triplex tank with a corex band. The method was 30 seconds agitation (rotation of spool) in the first minute and after yhat every 10 seconds of the next developing minute. After fixation and final washing i noticed some dots on the negativ film (trasparent ones) thrue the emulsion where the image is. The dots are just on the side of the negativ... sometimes clearly visble sometimes absent... on the same roll of film. Could someone explain the nature of those dots and how to get read of them? Mention: those are not air bubbles, the film beeing pre-wetted befor loading into the spool (air bubbles create black spots on negativs as i know).
    Tnx for any suggestions!
    Regards LucianN

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've seen clear dots very few times in about 38 years, but there are two possible causes.

1. The tank was contaminated, maybe hadn't been washed properly and fixer has crystallised getting into the developer.

2. Far more likely - small particles of iron in the water used, these react with the fixer causing it to bleach the image, you can filter the water & solutions to prevent this.

Welcome to APUG by the way

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another possible cause is dust settling on the emulsion at the taking stage. These of course will print as tiny black dots.

Out of interest are there a few or many clear dots and are they really tiny or large?

Again welcome to the wonderful world of analogue.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The tank was brand new (unvraped form the original box) when those spots appeared. And also after each developing the film is removed from tank and washed (stop bath in wather) afther that put back in and fixed... again out with the film for final wash... meantime the tank lays is water.... So contamination wiht fixer i gues is out of discuttion. The other hand dots are aligned in what seams to form a line... No random spots are present on the negativ... Is it possible to be caused by the corex band??? The pattern is likely... Butt i never see before such a problem to any other photographers using the same tank and corex band.
    Mention: The corex band was not so tightly riped around the spool... to let the chemycals flow easely betwen the corex band and the film... others did the same and with good results...
    Thanks for welcome wishes and for the answere Ian!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Trevor - the dots are tiny at beginning ... groving to a point and after that decreasing again. The dots are trasparecies in the negativs at the margin of the image. So dust is not the cause of that.
    Thank you for welcoming me... really a wonderfull world

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it's only one film perhaps it's a coating fault.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    no.... multiple films same problem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What make of film ?

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The film is Fomapan 100 ISO, but also developed T-Max 35mm with smaller amount of dots... I dought T-max is low quality on emulsion:| Could it be a mechanical problem.... corex band scratching slowly the emulsion on the film while i am agitating the spoll... ??? Still never see this kind of troubles before.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can you post a scan of the offending negatives?

Cheers, Bob.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin