Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,570,010   Online: 850

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Difference between hypam and ilford rapid fixer?

I usually use Ilford rapid fixer, but my Jessops store only has Hypam available at present so I am picking up some of that instead. I have never understood what the difference is between these two and whether it is important. Can anyone shed any light on this? All I can find is that Hypam is a bit more expensive.
    Mark Tomlinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do not know what is the real (chemical) difference, I have used both, but in my experience films that I fix with rapid fixer needs more washing time, about 50% more. If I do not wash enough I get little white grains similar to dust on my films.

Shooter
    35mm
    Technically, there is very little differnce. Fixing time, wash time, concentrations are the same.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Only difference I am aware of is that hardener can be added to Hypam, but not Rapid Fixer. AFAIK the two are interchangeable in use, if you don't need hardening.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Stan 160, there is no chemical reason why you can not add hardener to either of these fixers.

Shooter
    35mm
    Mark I take it you have looked at the Ilford site. I just have and they even seem to be described in the same words such as both say "rapid fix" etc Same times dilutions etc as well. If you were to print off both fact sheets then you may see a difference but at first glance they seem the same except for the difference Stan mentions.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes and from what I can gather they are both based on similar chemistry (ammonium thiosulphate?). But there must be something different or why bother having two different products? Perhaps it is just the hardener issue as Ian says - otherwise there is no difference in practice.
    Mark Tomlinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used both interchangeably with identical results. As said above, the possibility to add hardener to Hypam is the only distinguishing feature I saw.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can you even buy the Rapid Fixer in 5 liter containers?

The strange thing is that I was just about to post this exact same question when I saw this thread.

It is relevant, because I just bought 5 liters of the Hypam fixer, at a price just pennies more than the cost of two 1 liter containers of the Rapid Fixer.

Is there any variation on the shelf life? The data PDFs are almost identical.

Matt
    Last edited by MattKing; 08-07-2008 at 09:09 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling and clarity

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, you can buy the Rapid Fixer in 5L container, I have one sitting in my cupboard.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin