Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,134   Online: 1116

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I'm a wandering back toward D76 and like such developers!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    I've tried all the DD from the Cookbook and found just what you did, very thin negs. It's felt that today's emulsions are just way to thin to soak up enough of the "A" bath. When was Stoekler's created? 1930?

D2D from the Cookbook and Thornton's 2-bath work well, but I would guess they've been created with today's films in mind.
    Isn't the Stoeckler recipe from the Darkroom cookbook wrong? If I remember correctly they used sodium bisulfite, which mean no development in the A bath. The original Stoeckler uses sodium sulfite and works just fine.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    Happens to the best of us!

It is also possible to increase the amount of dev agent in the A bath. I've done this with D23D, something on the order of 10g/liter of metol. Upon doing this, I did get decent negs.
    I've found that increasing the developing agent(s) results in, yes, a denser negative, but very flat. Tends to overdevelop everything.

Mi dos centavos.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Divided developers need to be optimized for just about every film or paper you use just due to thickness of the gelatin, swell due to hardening, and silver halide content due to the emulsion type used. This is a given. They can be a real pain!

PE
    Not sure it's a given, but I certainly came to a similar conclusion.

I posted a thread here some months ago wherein I was puzzled about a DD I made. Foma 100 developed to beautiful gradations, TMY barely developed.

I have spent 20 years off and on seriously researching the literature and experimenting with DD's. My own holy grail. I have found out that it's a crapshoot, as you mentioned.

The only ones that seem to give consistent, good results are the ones that aren't truly a DD! In other words, where development takes place in Bath A. DD-23 is one such. So here comes the need for time and temperature controls again. And then someone here, IIRC, showed that the B bath didn't change anything anyway!

The DD's seem to work best with non-T/Delta grain films. Diafine and Tri-X is legendary.

My advice, as if asked for, would be to try out DD's, but be forewarned.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin