Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,244   Online: 725

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Hazy Precipitate in First Rinse Water for Prints

I slide my prints from the fix into a tray of water and then transfer them to the wash tank. Lately, I've noticed a light haze forming in the wash tray after several prints have gone thru. The last time the tray stood full overnight and I noticed the haze was settling to the bottom. I don't think it is a problem because the print goes from there to a moving water wash and I doubt anything is left on the print. But I am curious about what's going on.

The paper is Ilford MG IV RC and the fix is common Kodak something. The water is chlorinated well water, probably a little acidic, and maybe some iron, although it is not evident.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak powdered fixer with hardener or one of the liquid fixer concentrates with a hardener added? If so, that's perfectly normal. The hardener needs an acidic environment to remain in solution. If I recall correctly, the PH needs to be about 4.5. Tap water, even if it is a little acidic, might be around 6.5 or so and is not acidic enough. So the hardener carried over with the fix into the wash drops out of solution. The hardener is usually a form of alum.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's worth noting that Ilford don't recommend using a hardening fixer for films or paper. Using a hardening fixer also makes it more difficult to tone prints.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It is Kodak powder with hardner. I guess the hypo solution is acidic enough not to cause the precipitate. I need to go read a bit about why and why not use hardened fix.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Correct. When you move the hypo (with hardener) laden prints to a clear water bath, you are introducing the hardener to a far less acid environment. As a result, the hardener precipitates out of solution because the ph of the clear water is too high.
    Frank Schifano

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin