Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,825   Online: 737

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, here is a hint: Coldlight

(also see my post on coldlight output vs time http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/5...mperature.html)
    Last edited by ic-racer; 08-19-2008 at 07:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    With identical processing, and exactly the same exposure, False.
    This is what I meant by "kind of a trick.." The 'Exposure Time' is the same on the center of both but not necessarily the "Exposure."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Obviously, same exposure to the middle of the print. It's not kind of a trick. It is very straightforward.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, another hint. Think of the order of things. ie Burn-first vs Base exposure-first.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you burn in first then do the base exposure, the light has already been on for a while so the base exposure may be brighter (is that how they work?). In that case the centre of the print would be darker, not brighter though.

EDIT: But now I have seen your other post with the graph, I see light intensity drops with time so if you burn first then do the base exposure, you will indeed get a lighter un-burned in centre area.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    A dark surround tone will make the middle appear lighter. A light surround will make the middle appear darker. It's called simultaneous contrast. Perception is a very important aspect of photography, so not a bad question.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    False - it's called optical illusions, rather similar to some of the tricks illustrated with lines we see sometimes.

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    If you burn in first then do the base exposure, the light has already been on for a while so the base exposure may be brighter (is that how they work?). In that case the centre of the print would be darker, not brighter though.

EDIT: But now I have seen your other post with the graph, I see light intensity drops with time so if you burn first then do the base exposure, you will indeed get a lighter un-burned in centre area.

Steve.
    EXACTLY!

I have now posted a pair of example prints that show it on the other thread. http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/5...mperature.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Burn-first vs Base exposure-first."

No. Why would I do that? That's not the same exposure for the middle section?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    "Burn-first vs Base exposure-first."

No. Why would I do that? That's not the same exposure for the middle section?
    The burn is on the edges only. Center exposure time is the same on each.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin