Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,316   Posts: 1,536,724   Online: 989

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Azo time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would seriosly consider getting a reflector bulb but i would have no where to suspend it. My bathroom is my darkroom and my printing area consists of a 3/4" piece of plywood over my bathtub, which would mean I would have to suspend the light from above the tub...lol. I currently use a besseler 23C. I have an Omega D5, but can't really fit it in the bathroom/darkroom. Once I move, i'll have a dedicated darkroom where I can make a contact printing area, but until then I'll have to make use of my good ol' 23C. I"ll test the paper tomorrow and post the times.
    RL Foley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the tip. I'll make a trip to Home Depot and see what they have. What size lamp should I be looking for?
    RL Foley

Shooter
    Large Format
    For Azo questions, why not go to the source -
    http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/AzoForum/default.asp
    The Azo Forum has a wealth of information for both novice & expert.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    The only problem with clipping a reflector housing to a towel bar is that if the printing frame is not directly below the light output it will not be evenly lit and the light fall off could be a problem in achieving a good print. (The effects of light intensity are a function of distance.)

I use as much as 300 watts of light and as little as 150 depending on the negative. Sometimes on really dense negatives 300 watts is required to achieve manageable times. Other times 150 watts is needed to allow adequate dodge times. I don't use a reflector housing...I use a reflector flood lamp.

Michael Smith uses a 300 watt reflector flood on his prints. I would imagine that with 4X5 Azo paper that you wont be doing a lot of fine burning or dodging.

There is no problem doing fine dodging and burning with a 4x5 print. Same as a bigger print in all regards.

If you only have a few sheets of paper, 5 seconds seems awfully short for intervals for a test strip, unless your negative is on the thin side. At 5 second intervals you risk all strips being too long or too short, which would leave you nowhere.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just developed a few sheets of the Azo I had with very good results. For my ABC negs, exposure times were about 5 minutes, and then developed in Agfa Neutol WA. This is really exceptional paper because it looks as if I could walk into one of the prints. I also tried one of my negatives developed in Rodinal and my exposure times were around 1 minute..although the negative was slightly thin to begin with. I'm really pleased with this paper. Its 30 yrs old and prints better than any of my current papers. I should be placing an order from Michael in the near future.
    RL Foley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I went to Wal-Mart today and got a 3 dollar clamp light with a 9 inch refletor and a 65 watt plant light. I got the plant light instead of a regular flood light b/c I've heard that azo is more sensitive to blue light and the plant light has an ever so slight blue tint. The light was clipped to my shower curtian rod about 4 feet above my printing frame. This setup cut my times from 5 minutes down to 10-15 seconds, and I've very pleased with the results. Just wanted to give an update, and mention the use of the plant light.
    RL Foley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    great idea, I may switch to the plant light bulb too. Thanks for the info.
    Non Digital Diva

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin