Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,766   Online: 866

Shooter
    Multi Format

Getting Started in Lith

Hey all,

I have heard this word thrown around a lot...lith...

I know it's a way to produce very contrasy prints. But, how do you do it? I've seen a few websites about it, but what is the best website that explains what Lith is, and a process on how to print lith images?

Thanks for all the help I've received so far. This is a great forum.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Start here: http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Lith/lith.html

Then get Tim Rudman's book, "the World of Lith Printing"
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lith printing - a Google search will produce a lot of good information, actually. The best resource for learning lith printing is the book by Tim Rudman. Search for 'The World of Lith Printing'.

Basically, you use a highly dilute lith film developer, and you control contrast by exposure time, but methods with flashing are also great. Some people use their contrast filters and triple the time they used for a good normal print. I like to not use any filters and I start at 40 seconds at f/8 with a normal neg for an 8x10 print and I work from there. Graded paper and variable contrast papers both work, but not all papers in those categories will work.

There is a lot to know about the subject. The results can be very eyecatching, and it's the technique I prefer, even over regular black&white printing.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Hi; The Fotospeed LD20 lith developer comes with pretty decent instructions but Tim Rudman's " The Master Photographer's Lith Printing Course: A Definitive Guide to Creative Lith Printing" is pretty much the THE book for learning this technique. Regarding papers-I like to look at images in the gallery here and on flickr to see what different papers look like. It's alot of fun. Enjoy-

Victor
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does anyone publish on the Internet a list of if and how various papers respond to lith printing?

If not, maybe an APUG page to which we could all contribute our experiences would be helpful.

It would certainly help me.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    2F/2F - take a look at Tim Rudman's web site. Just Google 'The World of Lith Printing' and there will be a link to click. He lists all papers that lith well.
    I also think Freestyle has a comprehensive list, but I can't seem to find it.
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Does anyone publish on the Internet a list of if and how various papers respond to lith printing?

If not, maybe an APUG page to which we could all contribute our experiences would be helpful.

It would certainly help me.
    Dear 2F/2F
    I have published 2 paper upgrades in the past, both are on Unblinking Eye and on alternativephotography.com. Papers have changed a lot though and so I published a new update in The World of Lith Printing, (with examples from many artists). The WOLP website mailing list received updates to the book list and then updates to the updates! We live in a changing world. They are on the site's news archive.
    However, in preparation for the upcoming lith workshops at The Photographer's Formulary I am in the process of a new full list. This will go out to my WOLP mailing list and to the mailing list on my new still unfinished personal site at www.timrudman.com . I'll let APUG know when it is ready. It should have been done by now but this new site is taking my time.
    best wishes
    Tim

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Fotospeed also has a nice little starter kit for lith printing--it has a little developer and 10 sheets of paper in it, plus instructions. It's a pretty affordable way to start exploring the lith field.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found Lith to be fun and easy to do. I even used Lith printing with my kids and it was great. You don't have to labor over exposure with the enlarger, just blast it. Then snatch the print from the developer when it looks good. The kids picked up on it right away!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin