Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,715   Online: 1262

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orangey toner?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm looking for a way to achieve a sort of terra cotta / orange tone on fiber paper. Any suggestions for toners / toner combinations / paper etc?

Thanks in advance.

- C

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try sepia then gold, I know that Ilford Warmtone will produce orange/red. I would think that Forte or Agfa would also produce similar results.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Les, thanks! You're a fountain of knowledge. I've really been more or less "anti-toner" until recently, and now I'm enjoying the possibilities.

I'll give it a go. Thanks, again.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Try hypo alum then blue gold on Forte Ploygrade warmtone plus. You will get an interesting orange/red.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Or you could try the yellow titanium toner in the Colorvir kits. I believe the active ingredient is Titanium oxychloride. Gives very warm yellows.

Copper toning can give orangey tones, or FSA toning (which I intend to play with this winter).
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Berg Brown Copper toner can give an almost orange color with some papers. Additionally some nice effects (albeit not repeatable) can be obtained by toning in copper and redeveloping. The image tone will split out in some unusual and attractive ways.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've tried copper toners and various paper combinations, and I generally just get varying hues of brown and pink. Typically I use Ilford fiber warmtone, and sometime Forte papers. I've never tried FSA. I'll add that to my list.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This is not strictly toning but...

Staining with tea can give anything from a creamy yellow through to a more orangey hue. Colour shift varies with the paper, strength and temperature of tea and length of time in the solution.

Note that this affects all of the paper i.e. the border will *not* remain white!

All the best,

Frank

P.S. Trust a Brit to suggest this one, eh?!

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll second that tip about FSA-you can find all sorts of toning formulae in the Darkroom Cookbook. Also Tim Rudman wrote a whole book on toning-published by Argentum. Another possibility is lith printing-happy experimenting!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    just a gentle reminder. Neither tea or copper is archival.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin