Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,062   Online: 1081

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I also followed your advise concerning a presoak in distilled water for about 2 to 3 minutes (BTZS tubes). I am very happy with the results!!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sandy,

I decided to test the 2:2:100 dilution on a negative which had an SBR of 9 (the film is still Efke PL100), using a time of 6m30sec. Although the negative was nicely developed, it did not have that extra glow I saw in those negatives which I developed using a dilution of 1:1:100 (SBR of 10, 11 and 13). I tried once more using another negative but still the same result. Not as much punch as the others. Is there any reason why, for this film, I should not standardise on a dilution of 1:1:100? Do you think that some films behave better at dilutions of 1:1:100 for all SBRs (e.g from 7 to 13) than others? Does your forthcoming address the issue (if there is one) of matching films to PYROCAT HD dilutions?

I have another set of negatives which I shall develop at 1:1:100 to see if returning to this dilution brings back the "punchiness".

Shooter
    Large Format
    Francesco,
    At the risk of stealing Sandy's thunder, it is not a matter of matching films to Pyrocat dilutions so much as matching dilutions for desired density ranges in the negatives. 1-1-100 dilution is typically used for negatives designed for enlarging. (DR of 1.00). The 2-2-100 dilution is designed for negatives that have higher desired density ranges (Azo, Pt-pd, Carbon etc.) I am not sure what you are doing with your negatives. This is a general explanation.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Francesco,

In my own work I have not noticed any difference in "punch" between negatives made with the 1:1:100 dilution and those made with the 2:2:100 dilution. Using the short times that are needed for developing with SBRs of 9 and greater we would expect to see less staining than with the longer times, and you would have less staining with the 2:2:100 dilution than with the 1:1:100 dilution, other things being equal. This may be what you are experiencing.

My article does not address the issue of matching films to a specific dilution. That would be an enormous undertaking that would require extensive testing, printing, and print evaluation. What I would basically recommend is that alternative printers use the 2:2:100 dilution for all SBRs of 7 and less, and the 1:1:100 dilution of SBRs of 8 and more. I recommend the 1:1:100 dilution for all forms of projection printing. This is of course consistent with Donald’s comment that “it is not a matter of matching films to Pyrocat dilutions so much as matching dilutions for desired density ranges in the negatives.” And to a certain extent my recommendation is based on the desire to keep development times at more than five minutes whenever possible, and not on the fact that I have found any advantage in one of the dilutions.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks for your comments. How would you describe the "look" of a negative with more staining? I was being very subjective in describing one as punchier. An objective description would be that the negative developed with the 2:2:100 dilution had a marked difference in appearance to the one developed in the 1:1:100 which may be related to some increase in density I have not seen before. Thanks again.
    Francesco

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Francesco,

You might be able to see a slight color difference if one of the negatives has more stain than the other. The one with more stain would look slightly browner than the one with less.

Sandy

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sandy, you are absolutely right. There is a noticeable (more) brown colour on the negative with the 2:2:100 dilution. As a test once more, I just finished developing in the 1:1:100 dilution two negatives. I made a visual on all that I have done so far and it is clear that the 2:2:100 dilution results in a more brown stain.

I would like to stress how nice PYROCAT HD and Efke PL100 work together. It seem like cheating when negatives like this come too easy.
    Francesco

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin