Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,848   Online: 1096

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

So how do I make photoflo? The only thing I've bought from Big Yeller in years.

Take it back I've bought some out of date colour film-))

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    with regard to photo flo, someone gave us about a gallon. Years worth, the real kick is that I feel that Edwal's is better. inital cost is more but it really is worth in *IMHO* and easier to measure. A drop is really a drop with the dispencer .

I stopped using Kodak products years ago when they stopped supporting B&W photography except as some one else suggested HC110. That decision was not made lightly but in line with their managment decision as to the loss of product, it made sense. It is sad that this move made by many people myself included, has lead to a loss of many tools we loved. It is hard to spend money with a company that does not care about it's customers.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think Agfa Sistan is superior to PhotoFlo. It is both a preservative and a wetting agent, and also can be used to enhance the longevity of RC prints.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well, I think Jim has it right, is time to leave the old 400 tmy and try something different, looks like it wont be around in a few years.

Oh Sandy...can I have your J and C data...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think maybe we are all looking at this the wrong way. Kodak has spent tons of money and countless years researching conventional films. Currently they produce some pretty good products and they probably feel they can coast on what they are currently offering. I think the move to the new coating plant was the final stage in this 100 year journey.

I can't blame them for wanting to pour their money into a new technology that they could push forward and increase market share and profits with. The conventional film market is fully matured and will bump along all by itself.

As long as people are buying in sufficient numbers to make it a profitable enterprise they will continue to produce the product.

For myself, I am buying up all the AGFA APX 100 in 4x5 I can afford to purchase. Locally APX 100 in 4x5 goes for $18CAD and Tri-X 320 goes for $28CAD in 25 sheet boxes (actually you can only buy Kodak in 50 sheet boxes). That's $12.85USD -vs- $20USD. A no brainer in my books! Kodak is not worth 55% more in IMHO.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    I think Agfa Sistan is superior to PhotoFlo. It is both a preservative and a wetting agent, and also can be used to enhance the longevity of RC prints.
    Interesting. One of the local shops has had the small bottles of sistan on sale for close to a year. I keep buying a bottle or two every time I walk in. The price isn't better then buying a big bottle mail order but it's no worse . I get the feeling I'm the only one to ever buy the stuff. Nobody at the cash knows what it is. Now I've got a shelf full of the stuff. I've also got a pint of photoflo that will last quite awhile.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have read it will last indefinetley un-opened. I had some i got at a going out of business sale and just tested a bottle that has sat for 3 years and it is fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I for one will continue to use Tri-x until they discontinue it. To switch to something else for fear of having it disappear, is only going to hasten that disappearance because of lack of demand. Kind of a self fulfilling prophecy if you ask me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin