Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,469   Posts: 1,570,906   Online: 969

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Aggie
    If you divide a bottle of HC-110 concentrate in smaller, filled up bottles, maybe your grandchildren may use it...

Jorge O

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Just so you understand I didn't switch from a Kodak film to APX. I haven't used Kodak films since the 70's. Had a big beef with them then and well I have a long memory. Before APX it was Ilford products. Still use a bit of FP4 for Pyro-Cat stuff. Haven't tried APX in Pyro yet but will do so soon.

I only hope Kodak stays in the B&W film business because they keep everyone else honest. Even if they themselves can't do the same.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Well I just glanced at some of the comments made about Kodak today. It seems they are hoping to have digital represent 40% of the sales three years out. When you consider how much of that won't be digital photography but other things it makes you wonder.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ilford TriX? Fuji Portra VC? Forte Tech Pan? Maybe ... Those will be my big losses if they go away. I do use HP5 but for something altogether different. VC is nicer IMHO to NPS and I still use tech pan - I guess there are substitutes to that as well - I am afraid consistency will go down and prices will go up. Without Kodak's big economies of scale, operational and purchasing efficiency will be less and it could be like gas in California.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    They had a break-through IDEA that led to dominance in their field, and from a sense of greed or ? ... over-expanded themselves to death, completely turning away from their CORE market, the serious photographer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    I just dont understand these people....seems they never learn from their mistakes. ....
    Its called Modern American Management folks. Its pervasive throughout our entire economic base in all sizes of business organizations, irregardless of what type of business they are engaged in.

Shooter
    35mm
    Since economists took control of the industry, it's money makes money - not products.

Jorge O

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I believe you are right Jorge. It was a fundamental shift that occurred. The economists were advisors, not decision-makers. Making decisions based purely on economics requires no technical understanding of the product or processes. That's one of the evident symptoms. These days, management has no knowledge of, nor do they care, about what is entailed in making the product.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Kodak just built a new B&W line -- remember the reformulations of TriX etc a year or two back? That's why.

If you are really attahed to Max 200, you should start getting anxious. Otherwise, don't sweat it.

(Besides, I can always ship in Fortepan from Japan... just shot some the other day...)

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, just my luck I guess...

I just started trying APX this spring because I needed a box of 4x5" FAST, and my local shop happened to have one. I had just about decided I liked it (for certain scenes) at least as well as FP4+, and ordered some more. Then came the chop. I did manage to get hold of four boxes of 9x12cm before Europe was empty...

I still have half a bot of TMX 13x18cm. Maybe I should hang on to it for the day when it becomes a valuable antique?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin