Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,950   Posts: 1,557,888   Online: 943

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    one day we'll all be recalling memories of when we use to use Tri-X-

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/BUSINESS...eut/index.html

Eventually Kodak will simply sell its film and traditional photographic patents, technology and manufacturing equipment to an Eastern European or Asian market. No problem. They'll continue to supply us with our "fix." Might even give Efke, Foma, et al, some competition.
    Three degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Jenkins
    Eventually Kodak will simply sell its film and traditional photographic patents, technology and manufacturing equipment to an Eastern European or Asian market. No problem. They'll continue to supply us with our "fix." Might even give Efke, Foma, et al, some competition.
    Makes one wonder what they WILL be doing after that.

Sad. They had a break-through IDEA that led to dominance in their field, and from a sense of greed or ? ... over-expanded themselves to death, completely turning away from their CORE market, the serious photographer.

I wonder what will be next, from Kodak's ruins? Novelty "give-away" trinkets? Instant cameras that produce postage-stamp size prints?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Kodak is planning to emphasize digital R&D. Good luck to them in that. They're giving up on a market they had neatly sewn up in exchange for one with fierce competition and price-cutting, no-profit, winner-take-none attitudes.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Big Yellow deep in the red within a few years.
    Three degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I just dont understand these people....seems they never learn from their mistakes. When was the last time anybody saw a succesful product made by Kodak, other than film? Very rare.....now they think they are going to compete with Epson making printers...lol....look for Epson to be buying Kodak in the future....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I always thought Kodak's core market was consumer film--"You push the button, we do the rest" as they say.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    How long will Kodak make film?

As long as people buy it.

Last year saw an increase in B&W sales -- not a decline. TriX is now labelled as a "Kodak Professional" product.

All is well, and TX400 is still about $20 for a 100' roll.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In another part of the article in WSJ, it says that Kodak will begin to eliminate production of traditional phtography products except for best sellers at retailers. I wonder if they will sell after market HC110 which is the only product of theirs that I use that I can't make myself. And of course there is the continuing question of the future of AZO.

Now I will probably eliminate Kodak from my film and paper options. They seem pretty hell bent on getting out of film eventually. I only use their RC paper for contact sheets, but use TriX an Tmax films. I have been slowly moving to Ilford film in 35 and 120 (moved to Ilford and J&C for LF already). I use XTOL, but it is easily replicated from scratch. That only leaves HC110 but I will convert completely over to PYRO based developers for those applications. Also AZO, and I still use stuff I bought a few years ago from a photographer's estate but may need to stock up in larger sizes just for ULF applications.

So, I will throw my dollars to Ilford and others in hopes of keeping their traditional products sales robust enough to stay in production.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have read the articles about Kodak's B&W film growth. the questions are, how much is B&W a total % of film sales? How much is the cost of producing B&W products in relation to other film products? Sales and costs can be vastly different accross product lines. And if you think because they invested money in a new processing plant they will keep producing film you are kidding yourself.

My wife works for a major airline. This airline spent 100s of millions building hub facilities in cities in the US in the late 80s. The sky was the limit for growth and profit. But economics, low fare carriers, fuel costs etc cuaght them by surprise. One of these hubs in Nashville, TN cost something like $60million to build. It had 20+ gates and set up to service overseas as well as domestic travel. Make a long story short, the passenger vloume never developed and they used a bout a dozen of the gates for a few years. Last time I was throught that airport, (1998) that wing of the airport was empty, the airline pulled out. They just walked away from the investment and took a write down against profits for several years.

It would be better for Kodak to sell the rights to the products and get a small percentage of sales. I don't think they are going to compete with Eastern European and Asian products on cost with materials repackaged and produced in a US factory.

I hope for those who like Kodak products they are continued in some form, but don't be deceived by what spokespeople or CEO's say. Statements are made to prop up stocks and pacify leary investors. Closing facilities no matter how new or how costly can be a strategy to show investors that you are serious about improving profits. And a change in CEOs or CFO's can change things around in a matter of days.

Kodak has been plagued by extremely poor management and decsion making. It has been shown time after time that once bad decisons are made they usually lead to even worse decsions and consequences down the road. Time will tell who is the biggest loosers in all this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One more comment on the subject. I can see the headline in the WSJ in 5 years:

Epson Completes Kodak Purchase, Sees Huge Profit Potential in Underutilized Film Products Division.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin