Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,827   Posts: 1,582,079   Online: 897

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Anyone using Jobo 1500 series for single 8x10 sheetfilm

I found this distant post by Mike Fagan:
    Now film drums [1500 series] are really quite small and the 8x10" paper has to be curled up quite tightly, but it fits and this combination will develop paper very well.
    I did not find anything more specific on using the 1500 series drums for 8x10 sheetfilm. I had tried multiple 4x5 films in a 1500 series drum, but they shifted around, so I got the Expert drum for 4x5.

For 8x10, I don't see why it would not work for a single sheet at a time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry, no experience with the drums you mentioned and 8x10, but I'm happy to report that developing single sheets of 8x10 film in a Durst "Codrum" works quite well. I found this drum in my old darkroom at my parent's place, decades ago I must have used it for 8x10 Cibachrome. It uses only 200 ml of chemicals.

Cor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a 2830 Paper Drum - (capacity 2x10x8in, or 4x5x7in) for processing 2 8*10 films at a time, without any problems on a CPE2 JOBO,

Best,

Cor

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I found this distant post by Mike Fagan:

I did not find anything more specific on using the 1500 series drums for 8x10 sheetfilm. I had tried multiple 4x5 films in a 1500 series drum, but they shifted around, so I got the Expert drum for 4x5.

For 8x10, I don't see why it would not work for a single sheet at a time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    I use a 2830 Paper Drum - (capacity 2x10x8in, or 4x5x7in) for processing 2 8*10 films at a time, without any problems on a CPE2 JOBO,

Best,

Cor
    Do you use a pre-wash? I was thinking that since paper is developed to completion and films are not, any un-evenness in the initial developer contact may show up in the film. Thus I was thinking of using a pre-wash.

Cor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes,

I do use a pre-wash of 3-5 minutes with distilled water (I place the films in a dry drum).

FYI thus far I have had no problems with remaining anti-halo layers etc, so I do all my processing and washing in the drum.

Good luck,

Cor

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Do you use a pre-wash? I was thinking that since paper is developed to completion and films are not, any un-evenness in the initial developer contact may show up in the film. Thus I was thinking of using a pre-wash.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks like I'll be trying this this week, and I'll post tank volumes and results I come up with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Results are fantastic.

I used the Jobo 1526 tank. This consists of the 1520 bottom and the 1530 extension.

Jobo literature indicates a 50 ml minimum to develop an 8x10 print in this drum. T-max developer requires 80 ml to develop an 8x10 and that is clearly above the minimum. (Maximum volume for the tank is over one liter, so 80 ml obviously less than that).

I did FP4 and the film was totally cleared after 5 min in fixer and there was no evidence of problems with the film back-side, prior to washing in a tray.

I used rotation speed "P" and a 2 minute, 150 ml, water prewash, following the 5 minute 'temp-equilibration' spin.

The results are much better than tray development for me. I was getting excess density on the edges using a 8x10 tray. This improved somewhat with a 14x17 tray. Going to a 16x20 tray may have solved it but 2000ml of chemistry for 1 film vs 80ml in the drum is a big difference.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations, I have followed this thread since it's inception. I wanted to see if you would go ahead, you did.

If you had decided to not go ahead I would have chimed in.

I have used the 1500 system to develop Duratrans, C41, E6 and B&W film in the 8x10" format, with great success on my CPE2.

I have also done 2 x 8x10" sheets in the 2840 drum, which is a 12x16" paper drum which will handle the same amount as the 2830 drum that Cor uses.

By the way, I haven't used a pre-wet (wash) with rotary developing of film or paper for the last 20 odd years, never had a problem.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    By the way, I haven't used a pre-wet (wash) with rotary developing of film or paper for the last 20 odd years, never had a problem.

Mick.
    I normally don't use it for either. One thing that I was getting on my tray-developed 8x10 sheets was marks from the initial contact with the developer in the tray. I was a little concerned that likewise, the 80ml of solution would not cover the film rapidly enough in the tank, since the surface area is so great. Thus the prewash.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting, that sounds like you are running very short developing times, to get marks.

Were these marks actually density differences, or were they handling marks?

80ml of solution is going to cover the entire sheet of film in around 4 seconds, give or take, at 15 revolutions a minute. I don't know what speed your "P" setting is, but it couldn't be too much slower than that.

At that speed, your film will be completely submerged possibly faster than if using a tray/dish. Unless you are not using a lift to drop the solution in, I don't see speed of coverage being an issue.

Mick.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin