Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,917   Online: 961

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Another option is to mix your own XTOL workalike, such as Mytol or Instant Mytol. Doing so will require you to buy about half a dozen ingredients and a scale capable of measuring small weights. You'll then be able to mix up as much or as little developer as you like (within the limits imposed by the precision of your scale). You might or might not want to go to the effort, but you should be aware that the option is available.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm still curious about the reason to sell Xtol in 5 liter packages, when all the other Kodak developers are sold by the gallon. Is the 5 liter volume a perfect fit for some kind of processor, or something?

Gary

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's a thought. XTOL serves as its own replenisher. There is no separately formulated XTOL replenisher as there is with D-76 as in the form of D-76R. It was marketed to pro labs where replenished developers are the norm. The 5L size would give you enough to fill a large tank, with enough left over to serve as replenisher.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It lasts longer, and is easier to store, if mixed double strength and then diluted appropriately before use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    There's a current thread that touches on this subject at our good friends, photo.net. I did a search at Freestyle, Adorama and B&H for 1 liter X-Tol; no listing, but another poster thinks it might only be available in 1 liter sizes outside the US.
    http://photo.net/black-and-white-pho...g-forum/00QfxH
    I thought that I remembered seeing only the 1-liter packages at my local camera store a few weeks ago (I was looking for the 5-liter packages). I'll check to see whether they still have them. I guess there's a remote chance that they're old stock, but I thought that the problem packaging had long since been discarded.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Since we don't have the one liter bottles here in the states that our Canadian and European friends have, I found the next best thing... Good ol' (lousy) American beer bottles in 40oz. sizes! Much better than the plastic Delta1 "Datatainers" these brown glass bottles with metal caps are great for storing oxygen-sensitive solutions and work out to be cheaper than "photography containers." While you could drink the beer, honestly, I'd suggest dumping it down the drain...

Turns out 5l of Xtol fit *perfectly* in four such bottles with about a 1/4" of an air gap each!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Resoman View Post
    I'm still curious about the reason to sell Xtol in 5 liter packages, when all the other Kodak developers are sold by the gallon. Is the 5 liter volume a perfect fit for some kind of processor, or something?

Gary
    This is mainly because the US gallon isn't a valid internationally recognized standard size, no one outside of the US can use it. A US gallon is significantly smaller than the UK gallon it's derived from, probably due to early american traders selling short measure

Litres are the International standard, scientists everywhere all use metric measures now. NASA used to make huge errors before they went metric !!!!

When Xtol manufacture ceased outside the US (in the UK etc) we were told it would only be available in US gallons, that didn't happen because no other country has measuring jugs/cylinders etc calibrated for US measures, so it went metric like 99.9% of the world.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That doesn't explain why D-76, Dektol, and Fixer are sold in packages that make 1 US gallon. Surely, they sell this stuff outside the US. So why, if they package these items differently for export, can they not do the same with XTOL? Don't get me wrong. I really don't care which unit of measure is used. I can measure it all the same. I just don't understand the lack of standardization.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Resoman View Post

Gary
    No, I think it is because the rest of the world uses the metric system! Its the gallon sized pack which is the oddity if anything. I find it incredible that the imperial system is still in use....

FWIW, I find the constant fears Xtol failure silly. One hears about people wittering on about something that happened with a 1l pack 8 years ago when people know the history to the issue and its solution.

My work space averages about 24-6 degs C. I keep my Xtol in brown plastic (detta) bottles and it lasts 6 months. It has even lasted 5 months in half full bottles. Just test some on a leader and if after a 3-5 mins or so the leader darkens nicely you know the dev is still nice and active. If you cannot get thru 5 litres in 6 months then you need to shoot more film!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's the anomaly of D76 sold in the UK in 3.8 litre packaging (1 US Gallon) and it's Replenisher in 5 litre packaging. D76 & Dektol (powder) are the only Kodak chemicals not sold in fully metric packaging. But neither are particularly big sellers in the UK where Ilford ID-11 etc are far more common.

Across Europe & South America you're far more likely to find Ilford B&W films, papers & chemicals. Since dropping their B&W papers Kodak have lost much of their share of the B&W processing market.

Ian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin