Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,932   Posts: 1,522,198   Online: 1058

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Xtol packaging...

Can anyone tell me the story behind Kodak's decision to only offer Xtol developer in five liter packages? I assume there's a reason for it, but I don't know what it is.

As little film as I shoot, I'd be inclined to but several one liter packages and mix them as needed. The five liter volume is a lot more than I need, and I don't have a convenient means of storing it. I guess the best storage approach would be getting five one-liter bottles, but the developer would likely be several months old before I got to my last bottle.

I just checked, and B&H currently lists D-76 and Microdol-X in both one liter and one gallon sizes. I've heard some horror stories from years past about Xtol mixed from the one liter packages having a very short life but, if they can package other developers in a one liter size, what's so tricky about Xtol?

I liked Xtol as soon as I tried it, and was really pleased that Kodak made the investment necessary develop and market it. It would likely be the only developer I use, if it were packaged like Kodak's other b&w developers are.

Thanks,

Gary,
    East Snook, TX

Shooter
    Medium Format
    According to the current data guide, Xtol is available in 1 liter size. Maybe just not in America...
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...109/j109.jhtml

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    XTOL keeps well in bottles. Get some cheap glass bottles, tighten them up hermetically, and stop worrying about your developer being a few months old.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Use half liter bottles. It works great for many months.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Short answer. It keeps as well as D-76 provided you keep air away from it, at least six months. Don't worry about the 5L size.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    IIRC there was a big quality-control problem with the 1 L packages (caking, sudden death of mixed developer) that led to Kodak removing them from the market entirely. Maybe Photo Engineer can provide more details.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Gary,

What all the others said. Several small bottles take up very little room in a reasonably small box and they seem (to me at least) to be more convenient that one large bottle.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Use Foma EXCEL, available through Freestyle. It's reportedly an XTOL clone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought that Kodak had resumed selling the one-liter packages a long time ago, using new packaging materials.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    I thought that Kodak had resumed selling the one-liter packages a long time ago, using new packaging materials.
    There's a current thread that touches on this subject at our good friends, photo.net. I did a search at Freestyle, Adorama and B&H for 1 liter X-Tol; no listing, but another poster thinks it might only be available in 1 liter sizes outside the US.
    http://photo.net/black-and-white-pho...g-forum/00QfxH
    Last edited by jim appleyard; 09-02-2008 at 04:38 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added thread

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin