Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,945   Posts: 1,585,818   Online: 977

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I would recommend dropping the photoflow for distilled water from the drug store. The main reason is unless you can measure out ml quantities you will use too much and that will cause problems. I also recommend dropping the stop and using a water stop, (fill the tank and empty three times prior to fixing). I did this just so I didn't have to have the chemicals around but I also use an alkaline fix TF4 which I recommend. Again, you will need a method of measuring out ml quantities of HC110 and it is thick so lots will stick to whatever your using. I run TriX 35mm and 120 at a 1:41 dilution, ASA 250 @22C for 9 minutes with minimal agitation (2 inversions in 5 seconds per minute.
    Chris Saganich
    http://www.imagebrooklyn.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree that liquid developers are easy to use compared to powders. I recently started developing my own black and white rolls (including a few of Tri-X) using Clayton F76+ and I have been very pleased with the ease of use.

As far as better/easier, you can get away without the stop bath or Photo Flo. I am using water for all of my washes and my only chemistry is developer and fixer, which hasn't caused me any trouble so far (and people who I've discussed it with who've been doing it for decades haven't had long-term problems). As J Ollinger said, however, you will use more water this way. For me, I like the process as simple and low-toxicity as possible, so I use F76+, Silvergrain Clearfix, and water, but what you have suggested will work fine as well. It's just a little more complex.
    Photoblog, though I'll warn you it's only mostly analog.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In all cases, be sure to get the dilutions right. I think you listed the bottle sizes, and you need to dilute the stock solutions for use. You need only about a third of a capful of PhotoFlo in a pint of water for a final rinse. Your choice of chemicals looks fine. Liquids are easier to use than powders.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by nworth View Post
    In all cases, be sure to get the dilutions right. I think you listed the bottle sizes, and you need to dilute the stock solutions for use. You need only about a third of a capful of PhotoFlo in a pint of water for a final rinse. Your choice of chemicals looks fine. Liquids are easier to use than powders.
    Yes, by all means work out the right dilutions, for example Chris Saganich's 1:41 from above isn't the same developer concentration as your 1:41 would be unless he ordered in the 500ml bottle from across the pond. The web page I posted earlier has the direct dilutions for the 500ml Euro version.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi, I've recently been having great results (ie, consistently easily printable negs with no blocked up highlights and good tone and grain by using Tri-x exposed at 200iso ( this gets me sufficient shadow detail) and using the Euro (more concentrated) HC110 diluted thus: 10ml of HC110 "syrup" topped up to 600ml with water at 75 degrees Farenheit. This gives me two 300ml shots of developer (handy for doing a couple of films in a session) and I usually develop for 10 minutes with only one gentle inversion at 5 minutes. It works great for me, and I find it a very consistent method to get reliable negatives. Its always best to do your own tests of course, but this might be a good starting point for you. As long as you are careful with the stop fix and wash, I imagine the actual brands and types you use for these stages are immaterial. Its a good idea to keep all the chemistry at the same temp, and give the film a pre-soak in plain water at the same temp too, if you have the time. Good luck, hope you get some great results!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What's a good baseline time for Tri-X with TMAX developer?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by scinysnaps View Post
    What's a good baseline time for Tri-X with TMAX developer?
    http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Okay, I've done it now, but I did some changes;

First I dropped Kodak's stuff entirely. That's just due to the fact that Ilford is locally available and with shipping cost cheaper as well. I would have loved to use Kodak's chemicals, but that will have to wait until I run out of chemicals from my first batch.

Secondly, I couldn't get my hands on some tri-x locally, so I got T-max, but I'm planning on getting some shipped to me from an online store (4,40 € per roll instead of 10 €). But, then I had a brilliant idea, I had an roll of BW400CN that was probably a bit damaged and exposed to light (compact camera winds film in all the way when I want to transfer it, I pop the cap from the canister in a dark room and load it into a reusable canister which cap doesn't stick on that well and falls of twice in daylight), so I developed it in ID-11

So, here's what I did;

Kodak BW400CN in ID-11 diluted 1+1 at 22C

Develop 14 mins, continuous agitation for the first 30 seconds, then 3 inversions (10 sec) at the top of each minute.
    Water stop for 1 min, continuous agitation, tap water at 22C
    Fix for 5 mins, continuous agitation for the first 60 seconds, then as with the developer. Ilford Rapid Fixer diluted 1+3 (screwup on my part, should be 1+4 for film)
    Ilford wash, last filling with a drop of washing-up liquid. I then squeegeed the film between my fingers to remove residual foam and water.

Results are here;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sstorholm/, it's the sepia looking shots.
    Canon F1n / FTb / AE-1P | Yashica Mat-124G | Hasselblad 500C/M | Leica IIIf

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuggi View Post
    Okay, I've done it now, but I did some changes;

First I dropped Kodak's stuff entirely. That's just due to the fact that Ilford is locally available and with shipping cost cheaper as well. I would have loved to use Kodak's chemicals, but that will have to wait until I run out of chemicals from my first batch.

Secondly, I couldn't get my hands on some tri-x locally, so I got T-max, but I'm planning on getting some shipped to me from an online store (4,40 € per roll instead of 10 €). But, then I had a brilliant idea, I had an roll of BW400CN that was probably a bit damaged and exposed to light (compact camera winds film in all the way when I want to transfer it, I pop the cap from the canister in a dark room and load it into a reusable canister which cap doesn't stick on that well and falls of twice in daylight), so I developed it in ID-11

So, here's what I did;

Kodak BW400CN in ID-11 diluted 1+1 at 22C

Develop 14 mins, continuous agitation for the first 30 seconds, then 3 inversions (10 sec) at the top of each minute.
    Water stop for 1 min, continuous agitation, tap water at 22C
    Fix for 5 mins, continuous agitation for the first 60 seconds, then as with the developer. Ilford Rapid Fixer diluted 1+3 (screwup on my part, should be 1+4 for film)
    Ilford wash, last filling with a drop of washing-up liquid. I then squeegeed the film between my fingers to remove residual foam and water.

Results are here;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sstorholm/, it's the sepia looking shots.
    Wow!
    I wish all my rolls would have been exposed to light if this is the outcome!!
    Mindblowing, truly...
    I love the sepia cast...
    Why 14 minutes?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a C-41 film, that why it has that sepia cast, due to it being developed the "wrong way". The 14 minutes was the only info I could find for developing this film in D-76, so I just used the same times for ID-11. The 14 minutes are also very nice since you doesn't really have to rush anything while you're developing, since a few seconds here or there wont do that much difference.

I also added a set for these pics, here it is; http://www.flickr.com/photos/sstorho...7607227367097/

And I also discovered that chemists (drug stores) sell bottles graded for chemicals MUCH cheaper than the bottles that are intended for darkroom chemicals. The chemist bottles are also a lot more resilient since they are intended for much "heavier" stuff, like acids and such.
    Last edited by Stuggi; 09-11-2008 at 05:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Canon F1n / FTb / AE-1P | Yashica Mat-124G | Hasselblad 500C/M | Leica IIIf

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin