Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,191   Online: 699

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Beginner Tri-X developing

I was wondering if this set of chemicals is sufficient/unnecessary to develop Kodak Tri-X at home, and if there are any other chemicals that might be better/easier to use?

This is what I intend to use;
    Kodak Photo Flo, 50ml
    Kodak Polymax fixer 500ml
    Kodak Max-Stop Stop Bath Liquid, 1 litre
    Kodak HC110 Liquid, 500 ml

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've got some Tri-X 320 and 400 but I'm looking at developing it in DD-X just cos I have some 3200 Delta as well

I had a look on Flickr and the results with the DD-X looked quite nice

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuggi View Post
    I was wondering if this set of chemicals is sufficient/unnecessary to develop Kodak Tri-X at home, and if there are any other chemicals that might be better/easier to use?

This is what I intend to use;
    Kodak Photo Flo, 50ml
    Kodak Polymax fixer 500ml
    Kodak Max-Stop Stop Bath Liquid, 1 litre
    Kodak HC110 Liquid, 500 ml
    Stuggi, your good to go. If you are using the US hc110 there is a page on my website about using it undiluted at 1:50.

you can find it here: http://www.jasonbrunner.com/hc110.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm getting it from the UK or something so I'm not sure if it's the US version..

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuggi View Post
    I'm getting it from the UK or something so I'm not sure if it's the US version..
    If you are using the Euro version there is information on that, as well as a lot of generally useful info here:

http://mysite.verizon.net/fowler/photo/hc110.htm

and here:

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/

TLR

Shooter
    35mm
    In Europe the "real" HC-110 concentrate come in 1 litre bottles. The 500 ml bottle, I presume that is the pre-diluted version.

Tomas.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by TLR View Post
    In Europe the "real" HC-110 concentrate come in 1 litre bottles. The 500 ml bottle, I presume that is the pre-diluted version.

Tomas.
    Yes, the 500ml version is the less concentrated "Euro" hc110.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How many rolls can one get out of this prediluted halflitre bottle if one uses it as a one-shot developer?

Shooter
    35mm
    You might or might not also want some hypo clear. This speeds up the washing process in some cases -- whether or not it helps depends on the fixer you use, and I'm not familiar with the details of the Kodak Polymax fixer you mention. If you don't get hypo clear and your fixer would benefit from it, you'll still be able to process your film, but you'll need to wash the film for 20 or 30 minutes rather than the 5 minutes or so that's needed with the help of hypo clear.

Shooter
    35mm
    Back to the original question: there are a lot of different developers you can use, and each has its own special characteristics. HC-110 is an excellent place to start, however. It's been around a long time and it's well known and documented. It's liquid so it's easy to mix (I hate mixing powders). It can be diluted at a lot of different strengths. It gives you good contrast and grain. It's my favorite pre-packaged soup.

I also recommend using hypo clear. But I live in a drought environment so water conservation is important to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin