Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,845   Posts: 1,582,696   Online: 1045

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Plus X development

Does anyone have any development time suggestions for plus x in D76? Do the Kodak recommended times produce good results? I have a bunch of rolls exposed at EI 100 that need processing

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spd2f View Post
    Does anyone have any development time suggestions for plus x in D76? Do the Kodak recommended times produce good results? I have a bunch of rolls exposed at EI 100 that need processing
    D-76 1:1 just like Kodak says to do it produces wonderful results.

Grandfather's Iris
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 09-03-2008 at 04:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

CuS

Shooter
    35mm
    I was always confused by Kodaks weird times for the new emulsion of Plus-X so I use rodinal 1:25, 6:30 at 20C - wonderful film!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    03 Sept 2008

spd2f:

D76 (1:1) is my standard developer with Plus-X (PX). I develop PX for 8:30 min in D76(1:1). Note that I use the Ilford agitation sequence (10 sec every minute), not Kodak's sequence of every 30 sec.

I have also been confused by Kodak's development times, hence I test to find my own. I agree with CuS that PX is a wonderful film.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Darwin
    Last edited by drpsilver; 09-03-2008 at 06:48 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Correct typo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Published time is 8-1/2 minutes for D76 1:1, for diffusion enlarger (read the fine print in the Kodak literature on their web site). For my condenser enlarger, I use 7 minutes as my standard time with 6 vigorous inversions every 30 seconds. With moderate to bright light this yields negatives that print well on an Ilford 1-1/2 filter. For very bright light I may reduce to 6 minutes; for dim light I increase accordingly to say 9-10 minutes.
    Prior to adapting this agitation method, I suffered uneven development with Plus-X in D76 1:1. The edges of the negatives near where they ride in the stainless steel film roll holder would be thin (under developed).
    For some reason, I get more even development with Tri-X in D76 1:1, especially in very bright light despite the vigorous agitation. These comments are for 120 film in Mamiya C330 or Rolleicord equipment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome back to APUG, Loren! It's been a while since I saw you in Michigan. Hope you're faring well!
    I will try your development method as I've had trouble getting it right with Plus-X. But when it turns out well, it works really well!
    Take care,
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    if you have leica.....try d:76 stock! .....wonderful tone!!!!!! it seems to be color emulsion!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For Plus-X I've used Rodinal 1:100 semi-stand and gotten wonderful shots. But the best were taken in Vegas using Hc-110 1:50 straight from the syrup for 10min. Fine grain and nice tonal range. Gave up D76 decades ago, too much of a hassle to mix up. Plus, Rodinal lasts practically forever. I still have 1 bottle from 8 years ago that works fine.
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolleijoe View Post
    For Plus-X I've used Rodinal 1:100 semi-stand and gotten wonderful shots. But the best were taken in Vegas using Hc-110 1:50 straight from the syrup for 10min. Fine grain and nice tonal range. Gave up D76 decades ago, too much of a hassle to mix up. Plus, Rodinal lasts practically forever. I still have 1 bottle from 8 years ago that works fine.

With your Rodinal semi-stand, how long do you develop for and what are your initial and periodic agitations?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not Rolleijoe, but I'd estimate somewhere around 30 minutes at 1:100 dilution and 20*C / 68*F. Agitate once or twice.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin