Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,673   Online: 1173

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kodak Techpan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Out of sheer curiosity, I got two rolls of 120 Techpan this week. I have never used this film. Any suggestions? I am assuming it will be like shooting Pan F....
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I haven't shot it in years, but I got nice results in Technidol, pretty much following Kodak's instructions (somewhere around EI 25-32, if I remember correctly). I think TechPan's characteristic look comes as much from the extended red sensitivity as from the fine grain. It's great for detailed landscapes and good with the usual filtration for well-defined clouds, and I've even seen some nice portraits with Tech Pan.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Images
    I'll second Technidol. Do you have any? If not, I think I have a few packs of it left. I can send you one or two.
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The same happened to me a few years ago, I was given two rolls to play with and dev'd them in Technidol as per instructions and the negs were fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It made the best-looking B&W slides I've ever done, as I remember, when processed with relatively simple reversal chemistry. The extended red is nice, and it's amazing the skies you'll get either without filtration or with simply a #8. 120-sized slides from it would be a sight worth seeing.

OTOH, it's a thin-base, curls like mad, and is sharp enough that it will show you camera shake you didn't think you had. Maybe in the bigger 120 rolls, it won't be so bad, but in 35mm I feel like I'm holding a garter snake while cutting it.

BTW, an alternative to Technidol is X-Tol 1:2, 6 min @68F. The Massive Dev Chart will have the exact time, but I used this recently on an old roll, and the negatives are outstanding.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have a look in the low contrast section of the Film Dev Cookbook (Anchell + Troop).I'd also recommend Rodinal at 1+200 ish -this worked v well with Maco ORT 25 for 10 mins at EI12.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I switched from Technidol to TD3 and am never turning back. It really makes 35mm look like MF for enlargements and I really like how it sees colors. I accidently developed some Techpan in Split D-23 and the negatives were very printable - about N+1 or maybe a little more but quite usable.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I'm a TD-3 convert too. In addition to its other virtues, TD-3 is hard to screw up, compared to Technidol, which is pretty touchy. Also, Technidol gives a very abrupt shoulder; TD-3 gives a shoulder that goes on forever.

As a staining developer, TD-3 works a little better in an alkaline fix like TF-4, but looks fin ordinary fix too.

The only downside is for the chemically fearful: it is pyrocatechin-based. As long as you're not tray processing with bare hands it's not that big a deal.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suspect that the TD -103 formula in the Film Developing Cookbook is similar to TD-3. It's 5g sodium sulphite, 10g pyrocatechol (sol A) plus 150-200g sodium carbonate in sol B (potassium might be better). Dilute 1+9 and develop for 10-15 mins at 20c (rate TP at 32-50).I'm going to give it a go as I already have all the ingredients (the sulphite could be replaces with bisulpite btw).
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a devil of a time loading it onto the spiral (Paterson type) because the emulsion is so thin. I was processing a 35mm roll. I must have got something wrong because it fell out of the grooves with the vigorous agitation and was ruined. Take care with your loading.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin