Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,149   Online: 1026

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: microwave magic

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

microwave magic

ok to speed up my work flow in the lab i dry my fiber base test strips in the microwave so i can see the dry down in a few seconds rather than have to wait ages. well today i decided something irregular I was drying down some Ilford Silk fiber base paper and i meant to type 30 seconds but i typed 3 minutes....the phone rang....test strip was microwaving and i didn't stop it.

when i got to the microwave the test strip was buckled and when i removed it i made a discovery the coating had separated form the paper.I now had a loose image which i could flex and crumple.

So I decided to check out if this was a one off or repeatable so i did it again, Same result. So I printed a whole 8x10" sheet and microwaved it for 8 minutes. same result. the whole 8x10 coating separated.

Im not sure if other Fiber coatings do this, or weather resin also does it. but for now that something i thought i would post as i found it interesting and this may creative application. also i noticed the coating is now translucent.
    Last edited by Stephen Frizza; 09-07-2008 at 03:11 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Throw one on your scanner, I think we all would love to see such a crumpled one.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    i shall, sorry i just posted this as soon as i got it out of the microwave, I will print something of mine on the paper and scan it shortly.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    I printed a whole 8x10" sheet and microwaved it for 8 minutes. same result. the whole 8x10 coating separated.
    8-minutes!!? I burned a hole in my RC print after 3-minutes, at 1-minute the gloss finish wrinkles and the paper buckles. I think "this myth is busted." RCs blow drys in about 2 minutes so I don't bother with the microwave anymore.

Terry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwagoshi View Post
    8-minutes!!? I burned a hole in my RC print after 3-minutes, at 1-minute the gloss finish wrinkles and the paper buckles. I think "this myth is busted." RCs blow drys in about 2 minutes so I don't bother with the microwave anymore.

Terry
    I haven't tried it on an RC print, and im very curious Why were you microwaving RC paper?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Why? To see what would happen. I heard that the waver would make your whites "pop." It was more like poof, up in smoke.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    hahahahaha. thats as good a reason as any, your awesome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like you have the answer to the polaroid image transfer in FB. Have you tried rewetting and floating it onto a sheet of watercolor paper?
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    no and I appologise for not having yet posted a sample, the image i did it with earlier was a clients image i printed in the lab. when i get a moment i will post a sample with an image of my own. i just got ultra excited and so i posted this thread. sorry

Shooter
    35mm
    When I have overcooked (Varycon, Polywarmtone, Adox VarioClassic, Ilford MGIV) I have done nothing more than burn a hole in the paper. Perhaps it is paper brand specific, or perhaps it is your particular microwave. One could, I suppose , try to float an emulsion of using a more even source of heat.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin