Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,974   Posts: 1,558,732   Online: 805

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Re-developing film?

I was just wondering what would happen if you put silver based B/W film back into developer after fixing? Does anyone do this to achieve any particular results? I am also curious as to weather anyone has ever used any type of alcohol bath, or would this damage the film? I would try these things myself, but can not afford to just throw film away right now and just seeing if anyone has produced any interesting results by doing this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Redeveloping fixed film does absolutely nothing except require washing and drying again.

Alcohol baths after washing have been used for years to rapidly dry film, but it is reserved for emergencies as the cost of the dry alcohol is rather steep in the long run compared with drying. Otherwise, there is no appreciable effect.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Once the film has been fixed, there is nothing left for developer to operate on.

There are some processes that convert the silver image back to silver compounds/salts that can then be operated on by intensifiers or toners to alter the original results.

DaveT

Images
    IIRC, alcohol can be dried with anhydrous copper sulfate. Anhydrous copper sulfate can be prepared by heating copper sulfate until it turns white. Copper sulfate is obtainable from hardware stores as a root killer for septic drain fields. Copper sulfate is insoluble in alcohol. I'm sure you will correct me if I'm wrong.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Patrick, you are correct. It turns from blue to white during the process.

The problem is that the cycle alcohol dry, dry alcohol, dry copper sulfate, alcohol dry is expensive and time consuming. It is better to use for emergencies and just air dry the film. Otherwise it serves no purpose AFAIK.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Alcohol baths after washing have been used for years to rapidly dry film, but it is reserved for emergencies as the cost of the dry alcohol is rather steep in the long run compared with drying. Otherwise, there is no appreciable effect.

PE
    You can use alcohol acquired from the hardware store, which isn't quite dry. When it evaporates, the amount of water left in the emulsion is much less than it would be had you not done so. While it doesn't make the film dry quite as fast, it does cut the drying time quite a lot. I used to do this infrequently on short deadlines.

You could, of course, pour the alcohol back into a container and use it again, but it would gradually lose its effectiveness as its water content increased. I suppose you could use straight grain alcohol. After a number of uses it would become vodka? "killing two birds..."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bowzart View Post
    You can use alcohol acquired from the hardware store, which isn't quite dry. When it evaporates, the amount of water left in the emulsion is much less than it would be had you not done so. While it doesn't make the film dry quite as fast, it does cut the drying time quite a lot. I used to do this infrequently on short deadlines.

You could, of course, pour the alcohol back into a container and use it again, but it would gradually lose its effectiveness as its water content increased. I suppose you could use straight grain alcohol. After a number of uses it would become vodka? "killing two birds..."
    No, Filmka!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I appreciate the info. My intent isn't necessarily to expedite drying, I am just curious about effects of other "non-darkroom" substances on film. I get these weird ideas in my head like "i wonder if lighter fluid would cause large sized reticulation?" or "what would Clorox do to film?" But, like I said, I can't really afford to throw away a bunch of film by trying all these ideas, so I ask to see if someone else has done it, and perhaps even perfected a method of obtaining unusual and creative results with them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I just poured the developer back in after stopping it and the effect is in the trash. (Got to make my labels clearer)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When using pyrocat developer, one can put the film back in the used developer after the processing is finished, there will be some change in the staining.

I have done this once, just out of curiosity : Tri-X film processed in Rodinal (1+50) and put it, after final washing, in used Pyrocat-HD, the film came out as developed (stained) in Pyro but looked like a little 'intensified'...
    I wonder if this can be done to 'save' slightly underdeveloped film?

Philippe
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin