Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,948   Posts: 1,557,878   Online: 879

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

New FX-55 Developer

There was a recent thread about FX-50 developer at the http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/5...developer.html, but this week's Amateur Photographer magazine has an article by Geoffrey Crawley on his new FX-55 developer.

He has chosen to waive his copyright on this as long as Amateur Photographer magazine is mentioned as the source, so here goes:

Part A
    Potassium Carbonate: 20g
    Sodium Bicarbonate: 1.5g
    Sodium Sulphite: 25g
    Sodium Metabisulphite: 12g
    Water to 1,000ml and dilute 1:9 for the working solution. Before use add B to the diluted 1:9 diluted A solution to form the working strength developer.

Part B
    Sodium L-ascorbate: 1.3g
    Phenidone: 100mg (0.1g)
    Last edited by Peter Black; 09-08-2008 at 03:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Peter. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll try and get to the AP article tomorrow. My local library carries AP. In the meantime and if you have the time to explain, what would be the characteristics and benefits of this compared to say DDX or Perceptol.

At least AP recognises that film and its sundries exist. I wonder what Practical(Digital - my addition) Photography would make of it? Product of a deranged mind? Someone trying to compare gas mantles to electric light bulbs, semaphore to mobile phones? Who knows?

Sorry I still cannot get over buying the above mag by mistake, thinking ( and may I suffer eternal damnation for it) it to be B&W photography mag.

I opened it and said "I don't believe it!" so often that the wife says I now do a perfect impression of our fellow countryman, Richard Wilson, as Victor Meldrew.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Peter. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll try and get to the AP article tomorrow. My local library carries AP. In the meantime and if you have the time to explain, what would be the characteristics and benefits of this compared to say DDX or Perceptol.
    pentaxuser
    Main difference would be that you have to make it up yourself from the raw chemicals and that it is seemed to be "greener/more eco-friendly" due to its use of sodium ascorbate. Performance wise it is described as having good under and over exposure characteristics, with a low background fog level. The sharpness, resolution and grain characterisitics of a film are exploited without enhancement, and there are full shadow tones (it also makes it suitable for scanning, but we'll keep that to ourselves )

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm always interested in a new developer by Crawley.

Peter, are the Part B components added as powder to the diluted Part A? If so it would certainly solve the shelf life problems of liquid ascorbate developers. It would also make it unappealing for a company to sell it commercially.

It is quite a low sulphite developer. Any comments in the article about the speed, acutance, grain size etc? I have no idea whether AP magazine is easily available here at the end of the Earth.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s View Post
    I'm always interested in a new developer by Crawley.

Peter, are the Part B components added as powder to the diluted Part A? If so it would certainly solve the shelf life problems of liquid ascorbate developers. It would also make it unappealing for a company to sell it commercially.

It is quite a low sulphite developer. Any comments in the article about the speed, acutance, grain size etc? I have no idea whether AP magazine is easily available here at the end of the Earth.
    Part B is the 2 chemicals and they are added to the working strength Part A shortly before use at around 20C. The ascorbate is said to dissolve immediately and the Phenidone more slowly. A is said to keep indefinitely in a closed container, while the combined A+B will keep up to 36 hours in a closed container. Exposure increase of about 0.5 - 1 EV is usually possible.

Images
    A proper mixture of ascorbic acid, phenidone,TEA and perhaps some propylene glycol would serve for the second part and would last, and last. And if you got bored, you could just dilute the B part with water and go at it.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's something wrong with this no-one (normally) publishes a formula where developing agents are added just before use as solids.

Ian

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    There's something wrong with this no-one (normally) publishes a formula where developing agents are added just before use as solids.

Ian
    That's what I thought too, but this if this is Crawley, it probably works. I like Gainer's idea about dissolving part B and will have this mixed in the next hour or two. There may be a Gin intervention which will interfere...EC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Having met & talked to chemists from the company that made all the early Paterson Developers & Fixers I can believe it

I think I'd prefer a Plymouth Gin over FX-55

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post

Ian
    Yeah, phenidone is tough to dissolve straight up in water. And why does Crawley specify L-ascorbic acid? D-ascorbic or a mixture will do just as well.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin