Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,578   Online: 1082

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

pyrocat hd - potassium bromide

hi,

am i right in thinking that the pot. bromide in pyrocat hd is not relevant if you are replacing the phenidone with metol? that it is only there to prevent fog from the phenidone-carbonate combination? and by diminishing the level of metol, does one increase the stain?

thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by el wacho View Post
    hi,

am i right in thinking that the pot. bromide in pyrocat hd is not relevant if you are replacing the phenidone with metol? that it is only there to prevent fog from the phenidone-carbonate combination? and by diminishing the level of metol, does one increase the stain?

thanks.
    I have mixed and used Pyrocat-HD with and without KBr and could not see or measure (via transmission densitometry) any difference in my negs.

The Pyrocat-MC formula does not contain KBr.

The primary staining component in Pyrocat-MC is the Catechol (same as Pyrocat-HD).

I doubt that reducing the amount of metol in Pyrocat-MC would reduce the amount of stain. The amount of metol in Pyrocat MC is already small (2.5 grams metol).

If you added Sulfite to the formula, that should reduce the amount of stain (if that's what you're after??).
    Last edited by Tom Hoskinson; 09-09-2008 at 09:02 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ... no, i was curious if it would increase the stain. thanks for the above.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think that Sandy King has said here in APUG that the bromide can be left out of all the Pyrocat family of developers. Do a search, though, in case there is a need for bromide in special cases (about which I might have forgotten).

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin