Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,843   Online: 761

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FX-2K

Quote Originally Posted by consumptive View Post
    Looking at these published formulas for FX-2 more closely and something is amiss. Jack's website specifies 75grams of potassium carbonate (crystal) and the formula posted by Tom above states 7.5 grams of the same. My Film Developing Cookbook lists the formula twice: once in the section on non-solvent developers, and again in the back as an example of how to mix developers. In one instance its 75 grams potassium carbonate (crystal), in the other 7.5 grams.

Tom - thank you for setting me straight on kodalk=sodium metaborate. hammering this into my head now
    The higher concentration (FDC p127,Jackspcs) is the stock solution.The lower concentration (FDC p59) is the working solution.
    FDC p60 says to replace potassium carbonate by approximately 1.5 x the amount of Kodalk,which we established is sodium metaborate, to make FX-2K.I have the 1998 (2nd?) edition of the FDC,it definitely says 1.5x the amount.
    Last edited by Alan Johnson; 09-11-2008 at 02:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Johnson View Post
    The higher concentration (FDC p127,Jackspcs) is the stock solution.The lower concentration (FDC p59) is the working solution.
    FDC p60 says to replace potassium carbonate by approximately 1.5 x the amount of Kodalk,which we established is sodium metaborate, to make FX-2K.I have the 1998 (2nd?) edition of the FDC,it definitely says 1.5x the amount.
    ahh yes, I see. sorry sorry. Obviously I'm new to all this chemistry/mixing (and apparently math). Slowly it is all sinking in... am I looking at stock or working solution? - on guard for that now too. Thank you.

There is a difference in the amount of metaborate given by Jackspcs,225g/L and by the FDC, 1.5x75=112.5g/L.
    This kind of error in formulae turns up from time to time. I would trust the Film Developing Cookbook version.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin