Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,241   Posts: 1,660,139   Online: 701

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

ID-11 in a small tank

Hello!

I have just bought enough ID-11 to make 5 litres of stock solution. I must be very dumb, because I didn't know that ID-11 is a "powder film developer and replenisher for the high volume black and white film processing in deep tanks and dip & dunk (hanger) processors". In the fact sheet available at Ilford Photo there is no information about using ID-11 in small tanks. The fact sheet I did find says "Information about using ID-11 in dishes/trays, small tanks and rotary tube processors is available in a separate fact sheet" - this I haven't been able to locate.

So, can you help me? Where can I find this fact sheet?
    Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It can be used just as easily for smaller volumes of film. Make up the 5 litres, download the data-sheet from here.

You need to decide whether you use it Full Strength, 1+1 1+3 etc, in fact you can use it 1+2 as well. The data sheet is quite different to the one I have in the UK from the 70's but the developer hasn't changed.

I would use FS and return the used dev to the 5 litre container, re-using and increasing the dev times as recommended. Check out Kodak D76 data-sheets as the devs are interchangeable.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    You simply make up a stock solution of 5 litres then use as stock or dilute 1+1 with water as required. Full instructions on the Ilford Harman site in terms of agitation, times temperatures etc. Ilford Photo site is I think the Swiss company making Ilfochrome colour materials so no wonder there was nothing there.

Google Ilford Harman and keep as a favourite or bookmark site. I find myself referring to it frequently.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You know, I never noticed that before! As I use Ilford films, I tend to use the film data sheets for processing instructions which do include instructions for small tanks etc.

The other processing data sheets they mention are at http://www.ilfordphoto.com/applicati...and+white+film - use the "Unreplenished Systems" pages.

Good luck, Bob.

[Addendum: Agitation info is also in the "Film Processing Chart pdf" here: http://www.ilfordphoto.com/applicati...and+white+film ]
    Last edited by Bob F.; 09-11-2008 at 01:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Over the years I've known many people use the 5 litre packs of ID-11 & Microphen for small tanks, and I used to use a 5 litre bottle of Microphen myself while at school - I'd guess 69-70. Ilford used to publish a far better data sheet, the current one isn't really appropriate.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [
    You need to decide whether you use it Full Strength, 1+1 1+3 etc, in fact you can use it 1+2 as well.

IIRC, Gene Smith used it 2:1 for the Minimata negs. I think this kind of replicated Ansco 47.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    ID-11 is an all-around, do it all (adequately) developer. The 5 litre package was for making a large quantity of the stuff, in case you need to fill deep tanks. Formula should be identical to the 1 litre packaging, and for all intents, the same as D-76. I've got a 5 litre box of ID-11 here as well, but it stays in the box 'cause I know I won't use it up before it's oxidized. (and I mix my own from bulk chemicals, in 1 litre amounts) For smaller tank use, I'd suggest that after you find a convenient way to mix and store it, you just go by published times for either ID-11 or D-76 (they'll be the same).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you very much, all of you.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have no idea if 3 or 5 litre wine boxes exist in Brazil but in the U.K. I would pour the 5 litres into two 3 litre wine boxes. Each box has an inner silver lightproof bag and a tap which can be levered out. Wash out the bag and then fill with stock solution until full, ensuring that the liquid comes to the neck of the bag, re-fit the tap and place back into the box. As the stock is poured out the bag collapses. No air can enter.

It's one of the best methods of storing liquids that I know. Concertina bottles is another way where you press the bottle down and force the liquid to the neck of the bottle. There is a chance that the plastic can allow air to slowly pass into the bottle. Better than plastic bottles are brown glass bottles. Again pour the liquid in until it is completely full and then drop round glass marbles or plastic balls into the bottle each time you use some of the liquid to bring the remaining liquid back to the top.

If you use the wine box method make sure you drink the wine first!

Best of luck

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I would use FS and return the used dev to the 5 litre container, re-using and increasing the dev times as recommended. Check out Kodak D76 data-sheets as the devs are interchangeable.
    For hobbyist or small-volume users, and especially for somebody who's just starting out, I disagree with this recommendations. It'll be simpler and easier to learn to dilute it 1+1 or greater and use it one-shot -- that is, throw away the used developer. That way you don't need to worry about increasing development times after each re-use, which simplifies the process and makes for greater consistency for learning purposes.

OTOH, different developer dilutions produce slightly different results, and it's conceivable that you (that is, Edimilson) will prefer the results undiluted. There's no way of knowing this starting out, though, so IMHO it's better to stick with the simpler procedure for the sake of simplicity when learning. You can experiment with different dilutions later, and if you like full-strength results, change your procedure at that time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin