Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,554   Online: 812

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

tri-x + photo flo

i'm hoping that there are others out there who have tried this. i use my school's chemicals, which include kodak Photo Flo and no hypo clear. my rolls of Tri-X 400 really like to get watermarks (especially on the frames i want to enlarge!!!) no matter how much i wash them and put them in photo flo, but none of the other films i've tried have had this problem.

am i alone?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I used to get watermarks (on all kinds of film) from using photo flo. Since I stopped using it, i rarely get them. (But you should use hypo clear, it gets rid of the fixer and thus reduces washing time, which is more important photo flo)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think that LFN is a far superior wetting agent. You might give that a try. Five bucks for a 3/4 oz. bottle that'll last about 10 years. Whether that's your problem, I don't know. Seems that you'd run into it with other films, too. What other films do you use?
    Last edited by eng1er; 09-12-2008 at 12:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Perhaps you could try distilled water for your final bath. Also, use just the recommended amount of Photo-Flo (just a few drops per one 400ml tank). I wash using the Ilford film washing procedure in tap water, and the final rinse + Photo-Flo is in distilled water. I have no problems with water stains. I hope this helps.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I also have no problems with Tri-x in photo flow. I get more spots if I don't use it.

I've read in other fora that someone was having stains and discovered that they were not diluting the photo flow nearly enough. Once they had the right dilution the problem went away.

Shooter
    35mm
    Interesting...I use photoflo with Tri-X in tap water filtered with a Britta and have never had a problem.

Dust, well that's another issue LOL

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hope you squeegee your negs. before hanging them up to dry.Use fingers moistened with photoflo and clamp them together to rid the negs of excess liquid.
    Never use commercial squeegee's on film (an old APUG tip).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

PF

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    Hope you squeegee your negs. before hanging them up to dry.Use fingers moistened with photoflo and clamp them together to rid the negs of excess liquid.
    Never use commercial squeegee's on film (an old APUG tip).
    Yup thats the way I do it . NO problems for yrs

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Photo-flo used too strong leaves drying marks. It can be used much less dilute than stated on instructions.

If you have more than one person making up the Photo-flo at the school -- someone might be making it up too strong.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    I always use distilled water with my photo-flo, and only use a little photo-flo. I use my fingers to lightly squeege it and it has worked great for years. Maybe I have magic (or slippery) fingers?

:-)

~Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin