Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,669   Online: 824

Shooter
    35mm Pan

problems with TRI-X 320 developing

Hi!
    I'm new user of Kodak TRI-X 320. All 4 films that I have developed so far are a little bit dim and the mask is not grey, it is a little bit pink/violet. It is not a big problem, but I do not like it. I have used ID-11 (1:1). Did anybody has similar problems? thanks in advance for help

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm not an expert on this, but I've seen the magenta cast on all of the Kodak films I've developed. The way I get rid of it is by fixing it longer than the recommended time. A thought occurred to me: I wonder if Selenium toner would remove it as well. Hmmm...

--Gary

Fresh rapid fix or TF4.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Some may remain even after fixing but should be gone after hypo clearing and good wash.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yup, this is my main film and it does sound like a fixer issue. I use all my fixer one shot but at one time I would reuse my fixer it would do this near the end of it's life. If you are using fresh fixer such as Ilfords Rapid Fix....fix for at least 4 minutes.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    I suspected that it could be fixing problems so I used fresh Rapid Fixer last time, fixing time cca 15 min, but the problem still exist. I developed both TRI-X 320 and Across 100 in the same chemistry, Across negative is beautifully clear, TRI-X is a little bit dim...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd love to tally up the photographer-hours spent extirpating this non-problem. But Ron of course has it right, as far as it goes.

15 min with rapid fixer is WAAAAY too long. If your 320TXP is "dim", there must be another reason. Exposure? Development?
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    i was wondering about that too. i fix for 10 to 12 minutes in 1+4 ilford rapid fix. no pink cast on the negs after this and using hypo clearing agent and a nice washing.
    Is this fixing time too long, what would be the consequences of "overfixing"? I developed a lot of trix lately with this fixing and everything seems to work just fine.

EDIT: I#m speaking of 35mm film. But it does not seem to be all to different

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I may be wrong, but I always thought (was told) that overfixing could eventually "bleach" the film or print.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jmal View Post
    I may be wrong, but I always thought (was told) that overfixing could eventually "bleach" the film or print.
    I have bleached a print in fixer, by forgetting about it and leaving it in the tray over night. That's pretty extreme over-fixing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin