Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,501   Posts: 1,571,713   Online: 942

Shooter
    35mm

Super 8 B+W Tri-X and Plus-X processed as negative

Does anyone know if it is possible to process this S8 film using Microdol-X to render a negative film? I want to develop the film as negative and then invert after a DV transfer. I want to do it this way to avoid having to use a bleach and clearing bath. Can it be done?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never done it but this page has a tutorial.
    You can also find more info at the Super 8 section of cinematography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When ever I have done this the film is dark from the Anti-halation backing, yet projection prints were still feasible. Probably have to remove the AH backing for DV transfer.

Shooter
    35mm
    What is the best way to take the AH layer off with S8? Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RJMLuke View Post
    What is the best way to take the AH layer off with S8? Thanks
    I have never done the following but this is a quote from the link goldie posted:

Anti-halation backing
    No image visible? It may have the anti-halation on the base, making the film completely opaque (black). It cannot be removed once the film has dried. This will wipe or bleach off while the film is still wet. Try wiping it off with a Chux. You will need to wipe hard. Be as careful as you can not to scratch the emulsion. Alternatively, bleach it off. Pour out 1-2 cups of bleach into a container (eg ice cream carton). Immerse film in bleach. Small black flakes will appear very quickly. As soon as they do, pull film out of bleach and wash under running water. You will still need to wipe it. Timing is critical as the bleach will also be acting on your emulsion.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    What is used for AH removal in regular B&W processes? That would probably work. IDK if its possible to remove it any other way than a bleach/wipe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    I've never done it but this page has a tutorial.
    You can also find more info at the Super 8 section of cinematography.com
    I processed a roll of Super 8 Tri-x pretty much following the procedure in the posted link last winter. I finally got around to posting the results. Didn't know what to use for an audio track so I just left the projector sound in.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-imjF3nyrFQ[/YOUTUBE]
    Turning negative into positive since 1975

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin