Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,446   Online: 1188

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Your experience sounds like my first couple years of learning with Kodak Microdol-X. Lack of development for some reason is the cause.

I've gotten some results with problems like this soaking the negs. in a 1:3 solution of Kodak selenium for 3-5 minutes. Should pickup at least one contrast grade. Should be able to see density gain over a light box. If already cut into strips do 1 strip at a time so you can compare the difference. Wash well after soaking.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Or contaminated! Perhaps the developing tank/reels/whatever, wasn't cleaned properly, with some remaining fixer in there?

It's a strong contender if the developer was fine before.

- Thomas

[edit: lots of stabbing going on ]
    good call! knowing the students in the photo classes at school, that is extremely likely. my classmate and i processed at exactly the same time, perhaps it is possible that the contaminated developer rose to the top being less dense than the uncontaminated developer?

i'm going to develop at home using my own chemicals from now on. in 4 weeks of school, teach has already said that 1 gallon each of bad developer, bad stop bath, and bad fixer were good. the stop bath was indicator stop bath to boot, and it was neon purple!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Gang darkrooms are often sad places to work, although they could be much better if people put a little effort into them. The one here at work is not as bad as some, but the kids still run into all sorts of problems that one would never have when working in your own personal darkroom. I used to suggest to the kids that they process film at home and then make prints at school. Many of them thanked me later because they ran into a lot less frustration and ruined film due to contaminated/exhausted chemicals, melted film in the drying cabinet, dust, scratches, poor washing, etc...

- Randy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poohblah View Post
    good call! knowing the students in the photo classes at school, that is extremely likely. my classmate and i processed at exactly the same time, perhaps it is possible that the contaminated developer rose to the top being less dense than the uncontaminated developer?
    No, this is not likely, but it is possible that your classmate was processing in a clean tank, and your tank had some fixer in it from a previous session, which would do unfortunate things to the developer.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Was it at the right temperature? I processed two rolls one day in early winter, forgot to check the temperature, and found out that 10 degrees too cold makes a lot of difference...similar results to your description.
    Havent had any problems with the group darkrooms here so far, but we have 2 full time techs to monitor things.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    35mm
    It's not the fix, unless you got some in the developer using a dirty tank, and your classmate didn't. He could have had a higher temperature, or he could have given his negs more exposure to begin with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And the moral of this tale is ' always mix your own chemicals ' so you know where they've been.
    I'm into painting with light - NOT painting by numbers!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hi, Pooblah.
    Glad you have decided to develop your precious negs at home from now on. The other way to go would be to keep your own bottle of concentrated liquid developer such as Ilfotec HC, or Kodak HC-110 and work with fresh developer each time, used one shot and discarded after use. This is the way to consistent results and these developers are very economical indeed, with excellent keeping properties.

John.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did you agitate the developing tank enough? That might make the negatives thin.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bragg View Post
    Hi, Pooblah.
    Glad you have decided to develop your precious negs at home from now on. The other way to go would be to keep your own bottle of concentrated liquid developer such as Ilfotec HC, or Kodak HC-110 and work with fresh developer each time, used one shot and discarded after use. This is the way to consistent results and these developers are very economical indeed, with excellent keeping properties.

John.
    how much constitutes a single shot? does 20 ounces for 2 rolls of 35mm film sound about right? or will 20 ounces develop more than that before becoming exhausted?

i'm getting ready to order this stuff on the internet, my local camera shop closed down this past saturday there are others around town, but i'd rather not drive 20 minutes each way and still not get everything i need. i know they have the chemicals, but not changing bags, etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin