Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,182   Online: 688

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Images

How to clean/avoid water marks

Hi,

how to avoid watermarks in newly developed film. I use photflo and an squeegee but some little marks still remain. I suppose it could be the water of stockholm but is there anyway to minimise it?

Thanks!

richardson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,
    A final rinse / soak in ionised / distilled water sometimes helps, worth a try I would think. However, remember to not over use the ionised / distilled water and replace it regulary.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Shooter
    35mm
    use demineralised water as last wash bad. if you hang it in a dust free room you should have no dust.
    Greetings,

Tom

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Les McLean advises to add a little bit of isopropyl alcohol to the distilled water/PhotoFlo final rinse.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by narigas2006 View Post
    Hi,

how to avoid watermarks in newly developed film. I use photflo and an squeegee but some little marks still remain. I suppose it could be the water of stockholm but is there anyway to minimise it?

Thanks!

richardson
    EDTA tetrasodium salt.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ockham's razor for me - photoflo and hang, nothing else, and never a water mark ever. The kids at school go through all sorts of contortions, tools, and god knows what else and get all kinds of spots. From what I can tell, and I have not done any scientific testing on this, yet it seems to hold true with the kids, is that trying to dry too fast is the main cause of water spots. I let the film sheet the water off all by it's gravity driven self, and it always dries clean. When the kids do their thing they always try to get it dry as fast as possible and they end up with spots. I don't know if it's just me or not, but the simplest method has always done the best job.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just started giving the film a final dunk in 90% Isopropyl Alcohol and then after I hang it up I wipe it gently on the non emulsion side with a Kimwipe. The negs are spotless after this. I have always had problems with Photo-Flo so I don't use it. Edwal LFN is also a good solution.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have had a lot of problems with this since we moved into our new house. As far as I can tell, my problem is water bubbles that when dried leave tiny marks on the film, DI water did not help, some how the film is attracting every tiny microscopic bubble in the rinse.

My solution is to add some Alcohol to the final rinse, no real data to support any of this claim, but my negs are coming out cleaner now. If there are any visible bubbles on the films I wash again, sometimes running my fingers gently over the problem area to dislodge them, and then back into the LFN/Alcohol rinse.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i've always had issues with photo-flo, but squeegeeing the film with your finger instead of a squeegee helps a ton.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by narigas2006 View Post
    Hi,

Thanks!

richardson
    I found that I had to use filtered water throughout the while developing process. The quick dip and dunk in filtered water at the end of the process did not work for me.

I second the use of isopropyl alcohol in the final rinse water. It works a treat.

best

Stoo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin