Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,616   Online: 1206

Shooter
    35mm

some c41 hexar af photos dev. in coffee and D76 1:1

Not the caffeinol recipe, but just D76 1:1 with half a film canister of finely ground coffee. About 13 minutes at 68 deg. F. Taken with a Hexar AF. 2 films were used, 1 was Reala 100, the other Fuji 400 Superia.

here

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    While I like the color in some of the shots (was that added in PS?), I would worry about scratching the film during agitation.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you scan a black and white negative as a colour negative, often you get that kinda colour. Well, on my scanner at least.
    Far better results than I got with my coffee experiments - very impressive stuff.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

The Netherlands, close to the Belgian border
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Impressive. Can you give some more details? I've actuallly never tried C-41 film in B&W chemistry. Is it the B&W flow all the way (dev, stop, fix, rinse, rinse, rinse), or are any C-41 chemicals used after developing?

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Does the coffee do anything or is the development due to the D-76?

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks all, I've been processing mostly Reala 100 in D76 straight and 1:1, but scanning most to grayscale. I doubt the small amount of coffee did much developing, but may have taken some of the magenta out of some of the images.

Another thing I do is pre-wash for about a minute with water which always pours out slightly magenta and I count that in the development time. 1:1 D76 has been more consistent than straight, but one time I used straight, I got a very high contrast overblown look that I've been trying to replicate. I usually shoot Reala at ISO 50, and 200 and 400 films at + 2/3 EV. I just use a water stop, and do a hypo rinse at the end, with about 10 minutes rinse/soak with soft water.

Filtering the coffee is probably a good idea if the coffee isn't fine enough to completely dissolve.

Shooter
    35mm

yes

On my Epson scanner I pretty much have to scan as a color negative, otherwise it will often have reduced framing accuracy if I specify b/w negative. This is with output to grayscale, or to color. Not sure why this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleath View Post
    If you scan a black and white negative as a colour negative, often you get that kinda colour. Well, on my scanner at least.
    Far better results than I got with my coffee experiments - very impressive stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi ted

what kind of coffee did you use?
    instant works best when turning it into
    the various coffee based developers ( and costs very little )

are your negatives really dense with an orange mask?

thanks!

john

nice stuff!

Shooter
    35mm

Hi John

Just espresso (very fine) ground from Costco coffee. I've read that dissolved instant is best for the caffeinol recipe, but I was just looking for a tone effect, not any developing effect from the coffee.

Depends on the film, but Reala often comes out brown and translucent but can give magenta hues when scanned as color to color.

But some Agfa C41 films can come out very purple and dense, unable to even read the frame # or see where to cut the negatives.

I don't think there's a generic C41 in D76 recipe, it depends on the film, pre-wash procedure, and I think the fixing has an effect on the resulting C41 negatives density and tone.

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi ted

what kind of coffee did you use?
    instant works best when turning it into
    the various coffee based developers ( and costs very little )

are your negatives really dense with an orange mask?

thanks!

john

nice stuff!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    interesting photos, neat technique. That's either a huge kitty or a tiny person holding it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin