Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,484   Posts: 1,571,258   Online: 1033

Shooter
    Medium Format

Exhausted fixer stuck to plastic beaker

I stupidly left some very EXHAUSTED film FIXER in a clear PLASTIC measuring beaker for about a week. When I dumped it out, the inside of the beaker is coated/plated with a opaque black silvery material. This coating does not want to wash out. I do not want to scrub it out with a abrasive material as it will scratch to inside of the plastic beaker.
    How do I clean this material from my beaker please.
    With thanks,
    Sam H.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just throw it away. It's a plastic beaker- not exactly the end of the world here. Even if you get it clean enough for your eye you will never be able to trust it again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Photographic bleach will eventually remove the silver that plated out of the solution. If you have some from a sepia toner or color process leave it in there after you use it and see what happens.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Next time, throw a nickel in there to silver-plate it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sodium or Potassium Hydroxide solution will disolve the residue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Potassium Ferricyanide bleach, the same thing that comes as part A of many sepia toning kits, will convert the silver to a halide. After that, you'll need to dissolve the halide with some fresh fixer, and don't be surprised if it takes a while. Toss it all out in the end, and wash the container. Any silver left that's plated onto it after that treatment won't be very reactive with anything else either, so don't worry about it.
    Frank Schifano

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin