Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,328   Online: 970

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Kentmere Fine Grain Warm tone - weird

So I am printing for an upcoming show and decided to try some Kentmere Fine Grain Warm Tone paper that I've had for a few months.

To me, this is one of the weirdest papers I have ever tried. It is hardly fine grain and the box says double weight but it certainly doesn't feel that way.

The print almost looks like a "light" version of a lith print.

Any one else feel the same way?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I should add that this is semi matte paper and I am using dektol 1+2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Finegrain refers to the surface texture rather than a claim to having any special sharpness.

It is a VC paper so if it's too high a contrast (which some people have mentioned I seem to recall) without a filter, try a lower grade of filtration. It does seem to colour very easily in toners and in different developers.

I like it with natural subjects (see attachment - in Neutol WA). Probably not the best paper for stark modern architecture or a general landscape (but YMMV of course).

Cheers, Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tulip1.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am doing a print of landscape with a water tower and some heavy clouds. I kind of like it but was surprised at the texture of it.

Also, I am just using 15 points of magenta on my color head and it's plenty.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It takes a while to get used to, but can be very beautiful. It doesn't seem to react to filtration the same way some other papers do, and that can cause a headache sometimes.
    I agree with Bob on subject matter. Portraiture is another strong area of use for this paper.
    I don't use it anymore, but would consider it if I needed a warmtone paper other than Ilford semimatte.
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin